Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to be a home body this fine Mother's Day weekend. Sooooo. Brisket it is.

Options
Well my wife had a procedure done for kidney stones Thursday and has not been reacting to all her medications well. They all make her dizzy and sleepy and so this was another opportunity for me to Bbq something since I knew I would be home most the weekend playing Nurse and super dad with the kids.

Anyhow finally after being traumatized a year ago about a dry piece of brisket I sucked it up and decided to do a go with brisket again. I was inspired by Griffins' old school basic cook. Picked up a 10lb choice packed at Costco and used half and half salt and fresh cracked pepper and added paprika thinking it would contribute to the smoke ring color but that was a fail. Anyone know how to get that perfect red smoke ring for brisket?

I used about 4-5 chunks of hickory and jack Daniels oak chips blended in with royal oak for my fuel filled up about 1/2 way up the fire ring. Meat was on at 630pm last night at 235-250 grid. Reached IT of 198 at 930am. Instant read thermo slipped in and out like butter. Separated the flat from the point immediately foiled the flat for 30 plus minutes and attempted to make burnt ends with the point.

Diced up the point added half and half butt rub and Henry's pecan rub with some BBQ sauce and placed back in the egg for another 3 hours at 275. First time ever trying it and I'm not sure what it is supposed to taste like but it was very smoky and full of flavor kind of like a very meaty beef jerky. My son liked it and he's usually my tester. Here are the pics. First time ever posting a cook and decided to give it a try. Thanks Griffin for the inspiration. I also made the accompanying sauce as well and it turned out good. This time not dry. Hehe

Comments