Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket help

WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,441
Attempting my 2nd brisket- first one was a flat and turned out okay (a little dry). Was going to go with the @cen-tex method- around 240-250 with Byron's rub and oak for smoke. Should take around 2hrs/lb right? Then FTC for 3 hrs or so? What am I missing? I bought a 8.7 pound packer that had half of the flat cut off. Any help is much appreciated
Greensboro, NC
·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,980
    250 grate level, should be somewhere between 1.5 to 2 hrs a lb. I would FTC a minimum of 30 minutes, but you are good with up to 4 hours depending on when its done and you need to eat. Start checking with a probe around 190-195. When it slides in and out with no resistance, like a hot knife into buttah, you are good. Could be at 195, could be at 205, just depends on the brisket. Don't over think it and have plenty of cold brews on hand for the journey. Best of luck.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • it probably won't take 2 per lb at that temp. I think Griff has it right. 1.5- ish. the rest can be 1 hour or more. There isn't a ton of difference.Let it cool a little before slicing. it firms it up to give you that killer texture you are after. good luck and have fun

·
  • i agree with everything griffin said. I probably need professional help.

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,655
    I will refrain from any further comment :)>-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Lou, Yeah I'm biting my tongue too. If Travis chimes in I won't be able to help it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Lou, Yeah I'm biting my tongue too. If Travis chimes in I won't be able to help it

let it be known, that today, May 11th, 2013 in the year of our lord, Steven bit his tongue. It has been documented for all of history to gaze upon in wonderment and awe. I will remember this day forever.

·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,441
    @cen-tex would you go at a lower temp?
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    I hate all of you
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Wolfpack said:
    @cen-tex would you go at a lower temp?

sorry- been out all day. Temps are fine. I would probably go higher if anything but you are right in the sweet spot. All looks good to me.

·
  • Jonathan1970Jonathan1970 Posts: 104
    Put my first time brisket on the Egg @ 3:15 pm. Planned for 1.5 hrs. at 245, so glad to see I'm in the ballpark. No better place for Brisket advice than Texas Eggheads. Thanks. 
    ·
    Thanks Griffin and Cen-tex just put it on- going to have a couple more woodford's to make sure good start and then heading to bed
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
    I love my cyberQ- good nights sleep and temp is rock steady 250 and brisket is up to 150. Smells awesome cant wait.
    Greensboro, NC
    ·