Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6 racks of baby backs on adjustable rig?

kbutler84
kbutler84 Posts: 140
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Saw this picture, but can't quite make out if there is still room for the oval stone for an indirect cook.  I'll be cooking for 11 tomorrow, and have 5 racks of ribs that I'm trying to figure out the optimal setup.  I'm away from home right now, so I can't really get out my rig and tinker.  Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    More than likely, you would use a spider with a stone. That's the only thing I can come up with.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • kbutler84
    Will the oval stone fit on the spider? I've never tried.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've seen guys use racks and bend the ribs in a circle
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    kbutler84 said:

Will the oval stone fit on the spider? I've never tried.

I don't think so...lemme go check
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

13" bge stone fits the spider.I don't think the oval will work down there...its just to long.

Will such a small stone down that low on the spider mean your indirect coverage above at grid level encompass the full 16" surface area or just the 13" area the stone gives? I guess what im sayin is will the 13 inch stone give full indirect coverage above as the egg is narrower down by the spider and stone....hard to explain this!

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • cazzy
    Nope! Doesn't fit!
  • cazzy

13" bge stone fits the spider.I don't think the oval will work down there...its just to long.

Will such a small stone down that low on the spider mean your indirect coverage above at grid level encompass the full 16" surface area or just the 13" area the stone gives? I guess what im sayin is will the 13 inch stone give full indirect coverage above as the egg is narrower down by the spider and stone....hard to explain this!

I think you just want the heat to roll and bounce off the dome, but theoretically, you may have issues with even cooking. I doubt you'll have any problems unless your fire gets out of hand and flames start up.

Only one way to find out! ;)

• kbutler84
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure ill figure something out!
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    That pic has the rig extender. That's why they're able to get the third grid on there using the crossbars for the oval stone.
  • kbutler84
    It looks like in that picture, though, that the rig is just sitting on top of tinfoil (possibly the stone), but the stone is not actually in the rig. I have the rig extender, but I'm not sure if you can fit the stone and three grids even with the rig extender, can you?
  • cazzy
    biznork said:

That pic has the rig extender. That's why they're able to get the third grid on there using the crossbars for the oval stone.

That's what I thought too, at first. Zoom in and look at the left side, you can see what hooks are used and can also see that the bottom sliding crossbar only has a grid on it. No stone.

• cazzy
    kbutler84 said:

It looks like in that picture, though, that the rig is just sitting on top of tinfoil (possibly the stone), but the stone is not actually in the rig. I have the rig extender, but I'm not sure if you can fit the stone and three grids even with the rig extender, can you?

Even if you could, the bottom racks would cook so fast with the grid sitting on the stone.

• biznork
    Maybe he's using a spider and the round indirect stone.
  • cazzy
    Yep, I definitely think that's what is being used in this application.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited May 2013

From the ceramic grill store website - check out the "What you need" section for the indirect setup

Three Grids with Lower Two Grids Sliding:

Of all the set-ups we outline on the site, this is the Grand Daddy. It’s not hard to master as long as you have a reasonable understanding of ceramic cooking and using the Adjustable Rig. It does require a watchful eye as you have to rotate grids during the cook. We recommend taking notes until you are proficient with the cook(s).

Note: The most common three grid cook is ribs. Other foods can be cooked on three grids but they need to fit the approximately 2.75" spacing between grids.

What you need: Adjustable Rig, Rig Extender, 2 Slide Guides, 3 Oval Grids, Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone and 13.5" round Stainless Drip Pan

Key points on this set-up are:

• You need a work area outside the cooker.
    • The Adjustable Rig acts as the “work” platform for the three Oval Grids.
    • The Spider holds the indirect piece(s): 13" Stone and 13.5" Drip Pan.
    • You can work the upper two grids without removing the Rig.
    • To work the lowest grid, the Adjustable Rig must be removed from the cooker.
    • There is approximately 2.75" of space between grids.

The three grid set-up is similar to two grids except you need to add one more Slide Guide and Oval Grid. Also, you need the Large Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone and 13.5" Stainless Drip Pan as they create the indirect set-up. The Oval Stone and Foil Ring do not work with three grids. The third grid sits at Level 1.5, same Level where the Oval Stone sits on 2 grid cooks.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• biznork said:
    Maybe he's using a spider and the round indirect stone.

thats the traditional setup for 3 rack cooks. spider down low with 13" stone. the egg is smaller in diameter down there so that stone works fine for indirect cooks
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    BigWader said:

From the ceramic grill store website - check out the "What you need" section for the indirect setup

Three Grids with Lower Two Grids Sliding:

Of all the set-ups we outline on the site, this is the Grand Daddy. It’s not hard to master as long as you have a reasonable understanding of ceramic cooking and using the Adjustable Rig. It does require a watchful eye as you have to rotate grids during the cook. We recommend taking notes until you are proficient with the cook(s).

Note: The most common three grid cook is ribs. Other foods can be cooked on three grids but they need to fit the approximately 2.75" spacing between grids.

What you need: Adjustable Rig, Rig Extender, 2 Slide Guides, 3 Oval Grids, Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone and 13.5" round Stainless Drip Pan

Key points on this set-up are:

• You need a work area outside the cooker.
    • The Adjustable Rig acts as the “work” platform for the three Oval Grids.
    • The Spider holds the indirect piece(s): 13" Stone and 13.5" Drip Pan.
    • You can work the upper two grids without removing the Rig.
    • To work the lowest grid, the Adjustable Rig must be removed from the cooker.
    • There is approximately 2.75" of space between grids.

The three grid set-up is similar to two grids except you need to add one more Slide Guide and Oval Grid. Also, you need the Large Spider, 13" Round Ceramic Stone and 13.5" Stainless Drip Pan as they create the indirect set-up. The Oval Stone and Foil Ring do not work with three grids. The third grid sits at Level 1.5, same Level where the Oval Stone sits on 2 grid cooks.

Thanks for going to CGS. I feel very lazy right now after my cook.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The pic in question, the rig is not even in an egg. It is sitting on a table over foil. Just an FYI
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @cazzy no problem - I remember seeing this when ordered my set up and kind of drooled.  I don't have everything I need to do it - but I never met an accessory that doesn't like my wallet so who knows what the rest of the summer might bring.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• biznork
    That is a cool setup. Take my money now!