Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken stir fry Moms day cook help

Options
Happy pre Mother's Day to all, I'm looking for a chicken stir fry recipe to impress all moms tomorrow. I have the spider and wok from wok shop and I think I do ol with this other than the soupiness in the bottom of the wok when I finish, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Shane

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I do a stir fry every couple weeks.  To me, a stir fry is meat and then adding whatever vegetables YOU like. I really don't use a recipe necessarily.  I suck at sauces so most of the time I buy a grocery store package sauce in the "asian aisle" and add it at the end.  Fantastic.

p.s.  I don't know what this means:
    "and I think I do ol with this other than the soupiness in the bottom of the wok when I finish"
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Couple of ideas:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146630/wok-question-attention-village-idiot#latest

Chicken, Breasts, Cashew, Mandarin, Stir-Fry, Richard Fl.

Mandarin oranges and pineapple chunks along with broccoil and snow peas provide a simple addition to this hearty stir-fried chicken that's ready in 30 minutes. Perfect if you love Asian cuisine. One pound of boneless pork loin, shoulder or tenderloin can be substituted for the chicken.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Lb Chicken Breast or Thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
    Chicken Marinade:
    1/4 Cup Chardonney wine or sherry
    1 Tbs White Pepper
    3 Tbs Cornstarch
    Vegetables:
    1 1/2 Large Vidalia Onion cut into 1 " pieces
    1 16 Ozs Pkg Baby Portobellos, quartered
    10 Ozs Snow Peas
    1 8 Ozs Can Pineapple Chunks, reserve the liquid for the sauce
    1 11 Ozs Can Mandarin Oranges, Reserve liquid for the sauce
    1 Head Broccoli, Cut into small bite size Pieces
    6 Ozs Carrots, Cut into Thin Slices
    4-6 Ozs Whole Cashews
    1 Red/Yellow Bell Pepper, Cut into 1" pieces
    4 medium Green Onions -- sliced 1" pieces
    2 Tbs Minced Ginger
    2 Tbs Minced Garlic
    Sauce:
    2 Tbs Red pepper flakes
    6 Tbs Rice Vinegar
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
    1/2 Oz Gran Marnier
    6-8 Ozs Chicken Broth
    6-8 Ozs Orange Juice
    2 Tbs Ginger Syrup
    4 Ozs Oyster Sauce
    2 Tbs Sesame Oil
    Juice from the mandarin oranges and pineapple chunks
    Cornstarch Paste:
    4-6 Tbs Cornstarch
    4-6 Tbs Chicken Broth or water
    Serve:
    Hot cooked Chinese noodles or rice -- if desired

PROCEDURE:

1. Cut the chicken, can use pork loin also, into 1" pieces and add to marinade for an hour or so. Overnight is OK also.

2. Add 1-2 Tablespoons peanut oil to hot wok and proceed to cook all the vegetables in small batches. Remove and set aside.

3. Add some peanut oil to a hot wok and cook the chicken or pork in small batches. When done remove and set aside.

4. Mix all the sauce ingredients in a hot wok and stir until boiling and then check for flavor and thickness. Remember this will thicken as it sits due to the cornstarch.

5. Mix all the veggies and meat into the sauce and remove to a serving platter. This may be served with rice or thin oriental egg noodles.

6. Garnish with small pieces of scallions or crispy lo mein noodles.

Servings: 4

Cooking Times
    Preparation Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Poultry, Wok

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/03/24*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1223343&catid=1

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1276998&catid=1

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I like Cashew Chicken.  Here's my take on it.

Serve with fried rice

Ingredients:

1 Chicken breast , skinless, cut into small cubes

1/2 cup Cashew nuts

1 small Green pepper, cut into small cubes

5 slices Ginger

1/4 onion, cut into small square pieces

----- Marinade -----

1 teaspoon Baking soda

1 teaspoon Corn starch

1/2 tablespoon Rice wine

------Sauce---------

1/2 tablespoon Oyster sauce

3/4 teaspoon Soy Sauce

3 tablespoons Water

3 dashes White pepper powder

1/2 teaspoon Sugar

1/2 teaspoon Rice wine

1/8 teaspoon Sesame Oil

Directions:

1. Marinate the chicken meat with the baking soda for 15-20 minutes and then rinse the chicken thoroughly. (Please make sure that the chicken is properly rinsed clean of the baking soda.)

2. Pat the chicken meat dry with paper towels and then marinate with the rest of the ingredients for 15 minutes.

3. Mix the sauce together and set aside.

4. Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and stir-fry the chicken meat until the color turns white or half-cooked. Dish out and set aside.

5. Add another 1 tablespoon of cooking oil into the wok and add in the ginger slices, bell peppers and onions.

6. Stir-fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the green peppers and add the chicken meat back in.

7. Add in the cashew nuts and do a few quick stirs.

8. Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is cooked and well coated with the sauce. Add salt to taste, dish out and serve the Cashew Chicken hot with steamed white rice. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cul-de-sac-er
    cul-de-sac-er Posts: 218
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe and info As far as the soupiness I was referring to the liquid in the bottom of the wok when finished, will cornstarch tighten this up?
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Awesome VI you're the man you rock!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
     As far as the soupiness I was referring to the liquid in the bottom of the wok when finished, will cornstarch tighten this up?
    Sure will.  Mix the cornstarch with a little water first and then put it in.  Otherwise you'll get cornstarch chunks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Gonna try it thanks Choke