Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butt advice

Options
Thinking about trying it for the first time tomorrow. Usually a low and slow guy but have heard good things and want to get some sleep tonight. Probably 2 7#ers. From what I've gathered smoke until meat reaches 160 then wrap until finished. How long should I bank on cook time? Any other secrets to share? Thanks in advance RT
Franklin, TN

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I did my first one last weekend.  It turned out pretty good with the exception of the bark being a little soft for some reason.  I had a fairly small cut (~ 6.5 lbs) and cooked it indirect at 350-375.  Took about 4 hours to reach 195 without using foil.  Made some pretty good pulled pork sammiches after pulling.  It was good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if pressed for time.  At this point, I do still give a slight edge to a low and slow cook.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    dweebs0r said:
    I did my first one last weekend.  It turned out pretty good with the exception of the bark being a little soft for some reason.  I had a fairly small cut (~ 6.5 lbs) and cooked it indirect at 350-375.  Took about 4 hours to reach 195 without using foil.  Made some pretty good pulled pork sammiches after pulling.  It was good enough that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if pressed for time.  At this point, I do still give a slight edge to a low and slow cook.

This is not turbo cooking!!
    atouchofsmoke,
    You have the right idea. Try to find some pecan, if it is available for the first "low temperature smoke" portion of the cook up until you reach 160 degrees internal.  I try to maintain a dome temperature of about 250 during this period to get a maximum effect from the smoke.  Then i wrap in a few layers of foil, to prevent leaking any liquid from the wrapped butt.  Then you can kick the temperature up, depending on your finish time, but always allow for at least an hour "rest period"!
    I always try to cook -- as low as possible a temperature, but allowing plenty of time for the rest period.  There will be no stall period, and you can actually measure the time it takes to raise one degree - then multiply that time by the number of degrees you need to reach 210, and that will give you a very close finish time.  If you need to hurry, bump it up, allow it to settle out, retest and you will have a new finish time.  Very predictable...

• atouchofsmokeWP
    Options
    dweebs0r said:

This is not turbo cooking!!
    atouchofsmoke,
    You have the right idea. Try to find some pecan, if it is available for the first "low temperature smoke" portion of the cook up until you reach 160 degrees internal.  I try to maintain a dome temperature of about 250 during this period to get a maximum effect from the smoke.  Then i wrap in a few layers of foil, to prevent leaking any liquid from the wrapped butt.  Then you can kick the temperature up, depending on your finish time, but always allow for at least an hour "rest period"!
    I always try to cook -- as low as possible a temperature, but allowing plenty of time for the rest period.  There will be no stall period, and you can actually measure the time it takes to raise one degree - then multiply that time by the number of degrees you need to reach 210, and that will give you a very close finish time.  If you need to hurry, bump it up, allow it to settle out, retest and you will have a new finish time.  Very predictable...

Thanks. Any idea how long I should plan for for two 7.5ers?
    Franklin, TN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Not much difference whether you are cooking one of two butts.  Can't cook to time, cooking to temperature is a must - get a cheap method of monitoring the internal meat temperature.  My guess, three hours to reach 160 while smoking, then three and a half to four hours wrapped and cooked at 325 degrees.  I cook my butts to 210 degrees, which takes about half hour longer (+10 degrees).  My butts are injected and can handle the extra temperature and always have extra juice to mix back into the pulled pork -- never dry!