Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking time for 20lb turkey

I'm smoking a whole 20 lb turkey for Mothers Day. 250 degrees. How long? Thanks.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I would roast indirect at 350 degrees. Pull at dark 180 white 165. You won't be sorry. Smoking a 20 lb bird would suck in my opinion.
  • IrishDevl
    Maybe suck is to strong a word, the meat would be great but the skin would be unedible. Just don't think it would work.
  • I think you're right. The more reading I do the more challenging and long it takes to smoke a 20 pound turkey. 350 degrees for how long?
  • IrishDevl
    Would be 2 hours or so. I did a smoked 15 # for thanksgiving and a roasted indirect 15 # for thanksgiving. The roasted was the winner. Both good, but the roasted was easier and the skin was perfect. It took me 1.5 hours if I recall correctly. I rubbed it and brined it the night before. So 2 hours at 325-350 might be a good estimate. But don't take it up until the white and dark are the temps I stated.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive low and slowed plenty of turkeys, into the few hundreds of birds, figure a whole day and still have to increase temps. i do like them but they are different from a roasted bird. 325, 15 minutes on average a pound done indirect, ive taken tday turkey polls and 15 minutes a pound at that temp has been the average, brined birds slightly quicker
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • IrishDevl

ive low and slowed plenty of turkeys, into the few hundreds of birds, figure a whole day and still have to increase temps. i do like them but they are different from a roasted bird. 325, 15 minutes on average a pound done indirect, ive taken tday turkey polls and 15 minutes a pound at that temp has been the average, brined birds slightly quicker

Interesting and maybe my memory is off. But I thought it only took me 1.5 hours and the turkey was 15 lbs indirect at 350 degrees.
  • IrishDevl
    I also stood it up beer can like in the turkey stand from BGE.
  • fishlessman
    IrishDevl said:
    I also stood it up beer can like in the turkey stand from BGE.
    my low sided pan is more like 12 minutes a pound but 15 minutes was average, setups vary and i think most use a high sided pan. verticle gets you higher in the dome, probably even faster.
    fukahwee maine

• IrishDevl
    I think you are referring to a low/slow. I was referring to 460 degrees.
  • fishlessman
    15 minutes at 325 is average. your vertical bird at 1.5 hours, did you cook at 350 or 460
    :)) you got me confused now
    fukahwee maine

• IrishDevl
    350 typo there. Martini issue.
  • IrishDevl
    I just don't believe the temp you have. I am next to positive I cooked a 15 lb bird in 1.5 hours or so. Maybe it was two Max, but based on your calc it should have taken nearly 4 hours.
  • IrishDevl
    I also gave it an apple juice spray which helped give a Beauty color to the bird.
  • I'm going to try 325 degrees/15 minutes per pound, indirect cooking, V rack.  Thanks for  your thoughts and add any others!

• Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    I love throwing a chunk of cherry wood in...gives turkey/chicken a beautiful color and just enough smoke, since poultry soaks up a lot of smoke.  I'd go 350-400.  A turkey is lean meat.  No real need for "low and slow" like with a fattier meet like pork butt or brisket.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    IrishDevl said:
    350 typo there. Martini issue.
    Say it ain't so [-X

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• A few thoughts now that I BGE'd the 20 lb bird. 1) A20 lb turkey may be 5 lbs to cook well (to keep moist throughout) 2). I kept the BGE at 325 degrees. After 4 hours, the internal temperature was 160. That's at least 10 degrees below being done( we finished in the oven). Next time, I will grill a smaller turkey and brine it.
  • Wchapman74
    Wchapman74 Posts: 52
    Brineing the turkey is the way to go.
    I usually use Bobby Flays cajun brine a dry rub recipe off of his website.
    They've all turned out great.