Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Boston Butts question

Options
My first post!!  I have a LBGE and cook Boston Butts low and slow, 210 degrees for ~19 hours.  I just put two of them on the grill for the first time and noticed that each of them extend beyond the plate setter.  Would this be considered direct heat to a portion of the meat?  Do I need to rotate them?  If so, how often?  I never open the egg unless if I run out of charcoal. I'd attach a picture but don't want to open the egg.  Please help!  Thanks!  Steve

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited May 2013
    Options
    First off welcome to your new obsession…

I think you will be fine, with that low temp it will be ok with some getting heat directly. It shouldn't cause flames to shoot up and burn the butt. I did two on my large at 225° the whole time and they turned out awesome!
    What rub did you go with? Homemade or store bought? just curious.. 

Sounds like good eats at your place! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you're worried put a little a little aluminum foil under the exposed piece.

Welcome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I have 2 butts and a picnic going on tomorrow afternoon. They always hang over a little. I agree with @solson005 that at that low temp, it won't hurt anything. There is nothing better in my book than a low and slow butt! Be sure to post pics of the finished product! Happy eats and welcome to the forum!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Sounds like this is not your first BB rodeo-but those butts have a cook mind of their own-monitor the temperature (and bone pull resistance) of both as you get closer to the guesstimated finish-time.  Don't be surprised if they finish (by ease of probe or bone pull) a few hours apart with the smaller one running long.  If that happens, use the FTC (foil, towels and cooler) to get both to the desired pull/eat time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I would recommend you foil your probe cables AND route them over one of the platesetter legs to protect them from direct heat exposed them to temperatures well above their ratings.  Two layers of foil will last for months, and a lot cheaper than replacing probe cables.
  • Iam1056
    Iam1056 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely wrap the probe wire, never thought about that.
    I injected the pork with A1 chipotle marinade (2 packs each), let it sit overnight, rubbed brown sugar on it this morning and let it sit for about an hour, then rubbed it with "smokin guns BBQ sweet heat" and let it sit for about 5 hours. Smoking with hickory chips too. I'll be sure to post a picture when I open the egg around noon tomorrow!!
  • Iam1056
    Options
    Don't know why these pictures rotated, maybe it will look different on the thread. They are wrapped now, I'll post more in a bit. Internal temp got to 193.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I would suggest wrapping your probe cables and route them in and out of the egg over the platestter legs to keep the direct heat off of them -- they can get expensive after a  while.
  • Richtermedic
    Options
    How long is ok to leave them in the foil and towels? Can I put them in the oven instead of a cooler? A few hours ok before i pull them?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    You chance drying them out by placing them in an oven.  They will remain steaming hot for five hours from the time you placed them in the cooler, provided you didn't open the cooler back up??
  • Iam1056
    Options
    I wrapped mine with foil and let it sit for an hour
  • Iam1056
    Options
    Bone came right out
  • Iam1056
    Options
    Finished, one for my family and one for the neighbor, they just came home with baby
  • Iam1056
    Options
    Can anyone tell me why my pictures upload upside down??
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    4 - 5 hours in a pre-heated cooler.  Never tried the oven..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.