Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Summer vacation on the OBX

Options
MJG
MJG Posts: 598
I am considering renting a beach house in Duck, NC which is part of the Outterbanks region. The idea is for my wife, 2 daughter, and 2 of their friends to drive down there from Boston for the first week of August. The house will be just a short walk to the beach, say 5 houses away and has a pool, hot tub, and wireless access...important for the kids. If anyone has any insight they can share it would be appreciated. I expect to spend most of the time @ the beach, in the pool, and just poking around exploring the local area. Thanks.
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sounds nice to me!  I have only been to the area once,and it was in the off season between xmas and new year.  I was in Avon which is much further south.  It is a really beautiful area.  

In the area I was staying you could drive on the beach and build a fire.  You are supposed to pick up a permit for each so that might be something you want to look into.  Drive your egg onto the beach and have a cookout :)

We will be looking for the pictures first week in Aug ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hit up kill devil hills and go hang gliding.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    We go for a long weekend almost every year. I really like the area but I will say the beaches aren't the greatest. Coarse sand and some areas drop off faster. But the outer banks are a great spot.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Outer Banks is great. I go every year. Lots of good food there. There have been about 10 places in Nags Head and Duck on Triple D. Check the list before you go.
    You can drive your truck on the beach in parts of Duck. Although it is much more crowded than it use to be, it still kind of has that old school vibe, which is pretty cool.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Been there a few times, in Corolla and once in Rodanthe... Long drive, but worth it...

Pace is a lot slower than the Jersey shore, though depending on the age of the kids there really isn't the same attractions as further north. If you are going to relax, can't beat it... No beach tag ****, can have fires on the beach... any even when busy, you never seem to be right on top of each other...

I would recommend a house with a pool... We would go to the beach from about 9 till 2 and then back to the house, hang by the pool for an extended chill / happy hour till we decided what or where we where going for dinner.

Enjoy!

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Funny how kids need wireless access and an ideal vacation to me would involve none.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    rtt121 said:

Funny how kids need wireless access and an ideal vacation to me would involve none.

Camping FTW