Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birmingham Eggfest is Here!!!!!!

BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
It's happening!!

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    I so want to attend this! How does it work, if you want to cook, you decide what to cook and bring it or do they supply some type of food and all of the cooks compete on that particular item ?
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure. How about you guys that have been to an eggfest before, @henapple
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    Yes!!! Now I have to find a way to get off work.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    If it is like Salado, you bring what you want to cook and cook it. Don't think of it as a contest. Think of it as a bunch of different people celebrating the egg and showing off its versatility. The challenge is for a cook to make some time to enjoy the fest and learn from some of the other cooks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I would recommend short cooks, no briskets.. Bring serving trays, toothpicks or small plates/cups to server samples. I bring copies of the recipes and a whiteboard to post what we are cooking. Don't forget to take time to check out what else is cooking. It's great opportunity to learn and get new ideas.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    I also have a question. If one were to want to do something that takes several hours to cook, how would they go about that. Cook it night before and reheat the day of the fest? Or just stick with faster cooking items. (ie. ribs would take 5+ hrs. The feat would almost be over by the time they were done.)
  • egger ave
    sure you can cook the day before.  
    I also have a question. If one were to want to do something that takes several hours to cook, how would they go about that. Cook it night before and reheat the day of the fest? Or just stick with faster cooking items. (ie. ribs would take 5+ hrs. The feat would almost be over by the time they were done.)

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    I dont get it. Pay $60 - 100 bucks and bring your own food to cook just to give it away to people that you dont know and that paid someone 10 bucks to get it to the event(and the money doesn't go to you). Is their prize money or something?

Getting together and having a big egg potluck is cool. I would understand opening it up to the public for sale as a fund raiser for the event. Maybe I dont see the big picture. It sounds like the Egg dealer wants new business and wants the Eggers to flip the bill for everything. Maybe I am missing something.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    mikeb9550 said:

I dont get it. Pay $60 - 100 bucks and bring your own food to cook just to give it away to people that you dont know and that paid someone 10 bucks to get it to the event(and the money doesn't go to you). Is their prize money or something?

Getting together and having a big egg potluck is cool. I would understand opening it up to the public for sale as a fund raiser for the event. Maybe I dont see the big picture. It sounds like the Egg dealer wants new business and wants the Eggers to flip the bill for everything. Maybe I am missing something.

$100 to cook is outrageous. We must be missing something. Usually the admission is nothing or a smaller amount for cooks. I think it is absurd that the cooks should pay anything for admission.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• egger ave
    First time I have seen cooks paying to cook at an eggfest. 

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Centex brought his brisket to the after party in ftc. I wouldn't cook longer than an hour. Being the first year it'll be a learning experience. I personally would not limit the egg to one team. We had several cooks take turns.

Cooks, next time I cook I will have index cards with answers to:

What is it?
    What's in it?
    How long did you cook it.
    Etc..

By the end of the day you'll be tired of repeating these answers.

Hope y'all have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    edited May 2013

This is , (from first blush)....a fund raiser, (which is ok!!)..... but it's NOT AN EGGFEST!!

Since 2004...Iv'e probably attended 25 or 30 Fests...some big, (almost like a festival)... some small, (more like a big family reunion)...and other's in-between.

Yes...they're all different,(with different set ups...venues...and monetary logistics for cooks and sponsors to consider)....and yes, (even when you cook and pay NO fee to attend)...it's not cheap to  travel to and from....attend, provide food and supplies... and everything else that goes with it.

But to pay 100 bucks to cook...(and I am assuming provide your own food to the attendees)...I'm calling "Bullschiiiiit" on that...lol!! ?

Doesn't' sound like any Fest I've ever cooked at...or would want to attend.

More than anything...Fests are about meeting other Eggers...and enjoying the experience of cooking on an Egg!  All the while... passing along your experience and knowledge to Newbies or potential  new Egg owners to help grow the culture, and support your local Egg Retailer. Truth is...they are really hard to describe...until you attend one, cook at one....and then, "you get it"...and you're hooked!!

I have seen countless folks attend their first true "EggFest...and come on this, or the "Original  Egg Forum"...and say exactly that... for years now!!

Nothing wrong with having/attending a fundraiser...(and this one at the surface sounds like a worthy cause)!!

BUT IT"S NOT AN EGGFEST!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Easter seals is a charity for childhood and adult special needs. I'm assuming you pay to do stuff because the money goes to a good cause.

http://www.eastersealsbham.org/

It's a great cause.

:( I have a wedding I have to go to that weekend

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thanks MCN.

I feel a little douchey for agreeing with some of the posts before fully looking into it.
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Easter seals is a charity for childhood and adult special needs. I'm assuming you pay to do stuff because the money goes to a good cause. http://www.eastersealsbham.org/ It's a great cause. :( I have a wedding I have to go to that weekend
    Im sure it is. Its how its organized is very strange. Its like having the guy running the beer tent at the local church festival paying for each keg he sold. Strike that, paying for the booth and each keg sold. I think its great to raise money but how this is organized just doesn't make sense. Its more of a charity dinner that the people showing up brings and cooks their own food after paying 100 a seat. Just crazy IMO
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Are there demo eggs for sale?

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Toolmaster
    Toolmaster Posts: 41
    It is a bit high priced !  But its for a good cause !  I will do my best to stop in and make a donation, but don't look for me to be cooking anything at that price. Hopefully some of the cook teams around town can learn to cook on a BGE by that time. At least its a start as it is more than we had in the Bham area before that involved the BGE name that I know of. 
    I went to bed last night mean and woke up meaner !  
    "Matt Dillon"

• henapple
    I didn't see the $100 cook charge
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I think the dealer just gives" the demo" eggs away?? ;;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm all for charity...but it still doesn't jive with me that the people who do all the cooking and bring all the food pay $100, while the people who just show up and eat pay $10.

It would make more sense to charge $25-$30+ a head for tasters, and bring the cost for cooks way down.  There will be far more tasters than cooks!.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    5 per team. I don't want anyone else touching my egg. Hell, it was bad enough cooking beside travis.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Not saying this is the case here, but some promoters "use" a charity's name and pay themselves with the majority of the collections and whatever is leftover is given to charity.

No thanks, I'd much rather stick with our idea of meeting likeminded eggers for a camp out cook and eat. We were looking for an event to go to in the south east, but I am disappointed.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I already reserved a demo egg. Would anyone be interested with cooking with me? I know it's high, but I feel like a hypocrite if I didn't cook after all the fuss I've made over the last few months about a local eggfest.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I just cooked at the Lexington (KY) Eggfest today.  We did not pay to cook.  Tickets were $8 in advance and $10 at the door.  They had a drawing to win a LBGE and all proceeds went to Habitat for Humanity.
  • MrCookingNurse

I already reserved a demo egg. Would anyone be interested with cooking with me? I know it's high, but I feel like a hypocrite if I didn't cook after all the fuss I've made over the last few months about a local eggfest.

I would man if I didn't have this wedding to go to. And thanks for sharing the info.

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Someone, maybe the manufacturer(?), needs to explain how an Eggfest works!  There should be some ideas to follow.  The '"standard eggfest" is asking quite a bit on egg owners, in my opinion.  Dealers should(?) have a list of "their" egg owners and maintain a communication with them concerning eggfests.  This should be a "win-win" situation with dealers -- meaning the dealer invests some capital into food and services for cooks(workers) and in return they sell eggs and accessories!!  Just considering the costs and efforts i see, and read about on this forum, from egg owners attending eggfests across our country is very suprising!  Many of these people travel hundreds of miles, and pay for hotel rooms and travel expenses!!  To ask these people for money to cook is "over the top"!!!  Ask me for a donation for Easter Seals, but please don't ask $100. for the oppertunityto provide,cook and serve food to people i don't know??? 
  • MrCookingNurse

Someone, maybe the manufacturer(?), needs to explain how an Eggfest works!  There should be some ideas to follow.  The '"standard eggfest" is asking quite a bit on egg owners, in my opinion.  Dealers should(?) have a list of "their" egg owners and maintain a communication with them concerning eggfests.  This should be a "win-win" situation with dealers -- meaning the dealer invests some capital into food and services for cooks(workers) and in return they sell eggs and accessories!!  Just considering the costs and efforts i see, and read about on this forum, from egg owners attending eggfests across our country is very suprising!  Many of these people travel hundreds of miles, and pay for hotel rooms and travel expenses!!  To ask these people for money to cook is "over the top"!!!  Ask me for a donation for Easter Seals, but please don't ask $100. for the oppertunityto provide,cook and serve food to people i don't know??? 

So I'm guessing you won't make this one?

XLBGE