Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - Finished Early Question

Options

Hey all,

Been an egghead since December, lurking around and learning so much.  These forums have helped everybody in my family think I actually know what I'm doing!!! :)

They trust me so much they've asked for some pulled pork for a big Mother's Day celebration tomorrow.  I started a 10.6 lb butt last night thinking it would be ready by about 4pm today before we had to get on the road to get there for tomorrow.  It finished up about 9am so I'm quite pleased about that.

Usually, I FTC until right before we eat it and then I go and start the pulling for sandwiches but since we won't be eating it until tomorrow, should I wait and pull it tomorrow or go ahead and pull it now?  I'm not sure which approach is best.  What do you all recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    My vote is pull and then reheat the pulled pork as it is much easier to reheat the PP then the whole butt-just an opinion.  I'm sure others will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    Options
    There those who say pull it and bag it, i keep my cooked butts whole wrapped tightly in foil until they are re-heated and ready to serve.  When you wrap them and place in the cooler for their rest period some juices will remain in the foiled package, and will turn to jell when you refrigerate them.  If you reheat them in the original foil package, this will turn back into juice so that it can be mixed into the pulled pork.  This is what works best for me.
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Pull now and reheat with a splash of Apple Juice
    Or pull now vac seal reheat in hot water

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• StellarEvo
    StellarEvo Posts: 89
    Options
    Thanks for tips.  I went ahead and pulled.  I've never tried reheating with a apple juice. I'll try that out.  Next time, I'll do a photo journey of my cook.