Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Gasket Change?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I need to install a new gasket and am wondering if there are directions anywhere concerning what bolts need to be removed to take the dome off.  Do I need to take the spring tension off?  Any tips you would like to offer?  Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @QDude I've been dancing around this for quite some time now, there are about ten thousand threads on here about gaskets. I've heard you can replace on an XL without removing the top, just make sure to clean off the old gasket all the way.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes, it's a hot topic of conversation. Are you replacing with stock gasket, Rutland, or something else?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    I replaced the gasket on an XL without removing the lid. Using the Nomex with the self adhesive back made it fairly easy to do. Just make sure that the surface is completely clean
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • QDude
    Hey @QDude I've been dancing around this for quite some time now, there are about ten thousand threads on here about gaskets. I've heard you can replace on an XL without removing the top, just make sure to clean off the old gasket all the way.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes, it's a hot topic of conversation. Are you replacing with stock gasket, Rutland, or something else?

Cheers -
    B_B
    I am going to put the nomex replacement BGE gasket back on it.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

It takes about two minutes to take the lid off......just pull it and make it easy on yourself.

Use a few zip times on the back of the hinge to keep it closed, then use a 7/16 deep socket to loosen the upper ring.  Reach in through the chimney and lift it off.  Loosen the lower ring and remove it.  That's it!

I use (and now sell) the woven ceramic gasket flat tape.  You only need to use them on one side.  I wanted a fire-PROOF gasket vs. the Nomex fire-RESISTANT gasket.  You can use 3M Super77 or Permatex UltraCopper.  I have some that's self adhesive, but I haven't tried it yet.

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    @stlcharcoal great info I just cooked my original gasket today!
  • QDude

It takes about two minutes to take the lid off......just pull it and make it easy on yourself.

Use a few zip times on the back of the hinge to keep it closed, then use a 7/16 deep socket to loosen the upper ring.  Reach in through the chimney and lift it off.  Loosen the lower ring and remove it.  That's it!

I use (and now sell) the woven ceramic gasket flat tape.  You only need to use them on one side.  I wanted a fire-PROOF gasket vs. the Nomex fire-RESISTANT gasket.  You can use 3M Super77 or Permatex UltraCopper.  I have some that's self adhesive, but I haven't tried it yet.

How does one buy a gasket from you?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• stlcharcoal

Just send me an email through my website and I'll get back to you.  I make a few other BGE products for the locals......I'll send you info on as well.  I sold the last gasket about a week ago, I should have another spool of it by Wednesday.  I think I was charging $14 for the Large, add a buck for postage.

http://www.stlcharcoal.com

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    One sided gasket is a nice option.  I may need to do mine in the near future and find that appealing.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stlcharcoal

There's a debate on whether to do top or bottom though......

Bottom doesn't get stains or food dropped on it.  But if you put it on top, gravity is not your friend if the glue lets go or if any of the fibers fall out of the gasket onto your food.  Also, it gets hit with some intense heat if you're grilling lid open.  I put mine on the bottom.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Just remove the nuts that attach the dome to the hinge. You will also have to take the springs off of the some. With the dome up loosen the spring hooks and pull the springs from the dome. You'll also have to pull the nuts off of the rear hinge where they attach to the dome.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    I recently replaced my XL gasket with the new BGE hi-temperature one. Couldn't be easier and I'm the most lame home repair guy that there is. The arrow points to the the only bolt that you need to loosen to remove the dome. Once that bolt is loosened, the band will expand and the dome can be pulled up. But first, the circle is where you should attach a tie to keep the band springs in the down position. Otherwise, it will pop up on you as you remove the dome. Not a catastrophe, just something to be aware of to make the job easier.

I found it easy to put the dome upside down into a large planter. I was able to work on it that way. Then, follow the usual instructions to clean the surfaces and apply whichever gasket that you decide on.

Word of caution. When applying the gasket to the dome, make sure that you apply it in the center as best you can to that it doesn't lie too much towards the inside or outside of the rim. If you have too much hanging towards the outside of the rim, you may have to struggle to get it back into the band. Found that out the hard way, as usual. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • stlcharcoal
    Just remove the nuts that attach the dome to the hinge. You will also have to take the springs off of the some. With the dome up loosen the spring hooks and pull the springs from the dome. You'll also have to pull the nuts off of the rear hinge where they attach to the dome.

Why do all that??  Just pull the bands, hinge, etc all off as one unit......just tie wrap the hinge shut so it doesn't spring open.
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    And the file is now attached.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

@ stlcharcoal

Being an ex-pat from "The Lou"...wondering where you're from there?

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2013
    And the file is now attached.

Bingo......just tie wrap in the circled part (and the other side).  Then loosed the 7/16 nut that arrow is pointing to.  After you have the lid off, loosen the one below and lift the entire hinge band system off.   Takes about 2 minutes.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2013
    Chubby said:

@ stlcharcoal

Being an ex-pat from "The Lou"...wondering where you're from there?

Evans

Originally from "Belle-Vegas" on the east side.  Moved-on-up to West County about 8 years ago.....Wildwood/Eureka area.  Bachelor's at SLU/Parks, and grad school at Fontbonne.

• QDude
    Do you have to replace the bolts that are bent due to the tightening or can they be reused?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• stlcharcoal
    QDude said:
    Do you have to replace the bolts that are bent due to the tightening or can they be reused?

Just put them back in the same direction and you'll be fine.

I replaced them once because they were rusted......they're standard size carriage bolt available at any hardware store.  BGE started using better hardware a few years ago, so it may not be an issue for you.