Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Calzone ideas

Looking to make calzones on Sunday for dinner for the wife. I have done fairly well with making pizzas and was just looking for any tips on making calzones. Also what's your favorite thing to have inside. Thanks
·

Comments

• NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,090
    I like a lot of meat in mine (spicy sausage, pancetta, pepperoni) -- or is that a stromboli?  Oh, I can never remember the difference . . .  :-/

What are you wife's favorite pizza toppings?

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,077
    Love me some calzones. I like to bulk mine up with a good amount of Ricotta Cheese. We also like to stir in some garlic salt and basil into the ricotta before putting it in the calzone. And then lots of meat and mozzarella. :)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,090
    YES!  Ricotta with lots and lots of garlic. =P~
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • DomCalDomCal Posts: 31
    Oh, those sound good. If you are looking to do something different, try a Buffalo Chicken. There are several different ways to do it, so make it to your taste. Me, I like to use a lot of really good blue cheese and Texas Pete wing sauce with cream cheese and cheddar. Sort of like the Buffalo Chicken dip, just wrapped in dough...
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,958
    Ricotta is the star of the show
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646
    Don't forget an egg wash while it cooks.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,786
    Ricotta, mozzarella, garlic, basil, oregano, and MEATBALLS!
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    And cut slits in top with sharp knife.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Take a look at this thread from @Dyal_SC , he inspired me to make the best I ever had!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1279730/#Comment_1279730

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • frankc623frankc623 Posts: 163
    Carmelized onions and bacon!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
    ·
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 480
    Not sure how you could EVER go wrong with carmelized onions and bacon in my book.  But the wife would fill her's with extra ricotta.  Guess ill be going to sams club in the morning for some stuff to put in it.  Pre green egg my wife made an OK gluten free pizza, now with the skills of the egg our pizzas are great.  Hope to say the same tomorrow night about gluten free calzones.  Thanks everyone for the ideas.
    ·
  • lecramslecrams Posts: 104
    Can someone please explain the parchment paper trick? I'm thinking of making calzones for mothers day tonight.
    ·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    I've got pizza down pretty well, but I had a major calzone fail the one time I tried it.  How do you all get the top to cook/brown/get crispy along with the bottom? 
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • lecramslecrams Posts: 104
    Any advice for  crispix or I?
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,057
    In order to cook the top you need to get the stone as high up in the dome as possible. If you have a Adjustable rig or Swing rack that is the easiest way, but you can raise it a ton of different ways.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,077

@Crispix49 and @lecrams, if you have a platesetter and pizza stone, you can set it up this way.  First, place your platesetter in  your egg legs down.  Then, place your BGE feet on all 3 corners.  If you don't have the little green feet, you can use something else...like washers...on the 3 corners.  Next, you place your pizza stone on top of that.  You need a bit of an air gap between the pizza stone and platesetter.  The trick to getting the bottom and top of the calzone evenly cooked is by allowing your BGE enough time to preheat.  For calzones, try preheating your BGE to about 500 deg f dome temp for about 25 or 30 minutes before throwing them on.  You need the full 25 minutes at 500 deg f for proper preheating....Not a warm up to 500, then throwing them on right away.

The parchment paper trick is great.  You just prep your pizza or calzones directly on the parchment paper, then slide them on the pizza stone with the parchment paper still underneath.  After a few minutes, open up your egg and carefully slide the parchment paper out from underneath your pizza/calzone.  If it sticks, give it another couple of minutes before sliding it out.

Your setup should look something like this:

Like @Griffin mentioned, don't forget the egg wash.  Just take one egg and scramble it in a bowl with a little bit of water.  Then brush on top before cooking your calzone.  That's what gives it the nice color at the end.  Hope this helps!

2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
    Here are the first two off. Gluten free dough it way sticky. The kids are eating now. The third one off turned out looking great.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 776K
    ·
    Figured while the egg was hot we would try to make our first loaf of gluten free bread on the egg. Hope all turns out well.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    ·
  • hoofalooshoofaloos Posts: 91
    is it necessary to flour the parchment paper or can the dough be prepped right on?
    XLBGE- Anchorage, AK
    ·
    We do both as we make them.
    ·
    Epic failure on the bread
    image.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 729K
    ·
    Firemanyz said:

Epic failure on the bread

Well you learned something at least. You will figure it out.

Dyals method for calzones is the way to go. Yours look good too. Nicely done
    ·
    Actually I cut a little off the top of the loaf of bread and it was good. I think next time 600 is way to high to cook bread high up in the dome.
    ·