Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And we're off!!

Comments

• Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Looks like fun! Enjoy. Looking forward to your Picts
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    This view was making me a lil too relaxed...
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    so I took a 5 minute break and did something productive. I put some Nomex I had laying around to good use. Like a glove! B-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Gonna be quite the cook-with a great set-up...too bad the famous wings didn't make the menu cut...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Goose53
    Goose53 Posts: 11

Cazzy,

My invite musta got lost in the mail, but I'm only about 90 minutes north of you. What time we eatin'?

:)
  • cazzy
    Goose53 said:

Cazzy,

My invite musta got lost in the mail, but I'm only about 90 minutes north of you. What time we eatin'?

:)
    We're serving at 1:30pm sharp...don't be late! :P

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Awesome! I am tuned it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    lousubcap said:

Gonna be quite the cook-with a great set-up...too bad the famous wings didn't make the menu cut...

I would have liked to make them...but that has a lot do with me liking to eat them.
    shtgunal3 said:

Awesome! I am tuned it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm going to try to get as many pics as I can throughout. I've now been asked to take some wedding photos. I told my mother-in-law that I brought my camera for the food, not people. How many hats can I wear? Lol
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to try to get as many pics as I can throughout. I've now been asked to take some wedding photos. I told my mother-in-law that I brought my camera for the food, not people. How many hats can I wear? Lol

Just get the people to stand by the food for pics :)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Send me the pics of all the food and the bridesmaids. B-)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    First time working with aged meat and the smell was a little weird.  I'm pretty sure it was the blood that was putting off the unfamiliar order.  Man, is this one nice big ol' cut of beef!!  The fat cap was a little thicker in some areas, but the marbling looks awesome and the point is freaking huge...me likey!   :D

Before I threw her on at 6pm.

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    That looks beautiful! I can hardly wait for the finished product. That sounds like a lot of fun for your weekend. Before I got an Egg I would have thought that was an impossible task to cook that much by one person. Now that I have the Egg I realize that it is not impossible at all (maybe a little insane, but not impossible) Have a great time and I second the request for pics of the bridesmaids with the food!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You have one very lucky family! :)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Going to be a fabulous meal I'm sure. Enjoy the cook and the family time @cazzy
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @cazzy, impressive endeavor. I am sure you will knock it out if the park. Keep the updates coming buddy
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    Boston Butt on at 10pm.  

I moved my times up 1 hour on the brisket and the butt...in case you didn't notice.   ;)

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Caz U Da Man. You are going to have a great time. Good on you for being such a big help.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    Poultry removed from the brine, rinsed thoroughly, and patted dry.

These bad boys are ready to get their pellicle on!!

• cazzy
    edited May 2013
    As of 5:30, the point is at 180, flat is at 170, and the butt is at 170. My goal is to pull them off the grill at 12:30, which gives me up to 7 more hours of cook time.

I think I should be able to let them ride through without a temp adjustment. We're at about 235 grid. Thoughts?

The entire car port smells unreal. :D
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    I don't know that there has ever been a time that I was wishing I could go to a wedding. Until now. I would let them ride at least a little longer and not raise temp unless I had to in the last maybe 2 hours.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • cazzy

I don't know that there has ever been a time that I was wishing I could go to a wedding. Until now. I would let them ride at least a little longer and not raise temp unless I had to in the last maybe 2 hours.

Lol, thanks for the compliment daron! I'm at a wedding and get bbq during the ceremony...works for me!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I think it will work out, just may have to hold their hands the last couple hours.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

@cazzy-I'm with you and Egghead_Daron with monitoring the temps for now.  That said, I have seen the proverbial "second stall" happen in the low to mid 180's where it has taken 4 + hours to move about 4-5*.  Sounds like you have it well in-hand. 

Are you a participant in the wedding or can you just mingle in your smoke infused clothes teasing everyone til food time?   Great undertaking!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DomCal
    DomCal Posts: 31
    Wow. Looks like a good day of eatin ahead!
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    lousubcap said:

@cazzy-I'm with you and Egghead_Daron with monitoring the temps for now.  That said, I have seen the proverbial "second stall" happen in the low to mid 180's where it has taken 4 + hours to move about 4-5*.  Sounds like you have it well in-hand. 

Are you a participant in the wedding or can you just mingle in your smoke infused clothes teasing everyone til food time?   Great undertaking!

So funny you say that Cap. I just said to myself that I think I'm in a second stall. Been at 180 range for a bit and I noticed the temp dropped a lil earlier. I bumped it up 10 degrees and I'll re-evaluate at 8:30.

Nope! :) Just doing the Q which is fine by me! ;)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Looking good. Can't wait to see the feast
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    +1 on don't shift gears and kick in the turbo yet.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Foghorn said:

+1 on don't shift gears and kick in the turbo yet.

Yep, for now, I just turned Eco off to get a lil bit more HP.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    Ok, I'm going to use this combo grill for chicken and sausage. It has a offset box...if I fill it up completely with lump, are these things able to get up to roasting temps?

Or do I need to put lump in the main compartment like you see in the pic? Yes, I know it's not an egg but I know y'all have experience with stuff like this. Lol
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I feel like I should use the turbo - to drive down there from San Antonio and get some food.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    You will probably have a hard time reaching roasting temps with the side firebox. I used to smoke roast chickens indirect placing the coals in the main chamber. Place a drip pan in the center with coals to the sides of the pan. Then place the chickens on the grate over the drip pan. But if you hafta cook all of the chickens at once, you may want to attempt using the side firebox I guess.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Every side firebox i have used required the fire in the "sidebox" --  plus a small fire in the main box just to get the heat flowing thru the main box.  This just cuts the startup time down.  We have found out that the heavier the main box's metal is made out of, the better the convection flow.  Which makes each one different.