Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How much wood for smoking butts?

MJGMJG Posts: 212
I am ready to go with my first smoke of Boston Butts in the LBGE. The lump is loaded but I am wondering how much wood to add in. I am using chunks of both Hickory and Apple. Thanks for any input.
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,744
    Low and slow or another method? If less then 275* dome I'd say 2 chunks of each.  If going higher I'd use 3 or 4 chunks of each with one chunk of each really buried in the coals.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • I'm curious too. I used chips for my first butt and it was completely useless. I used chunks the second time, only added two chunks. I felt like it could have used more than that though.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    I use 5 large chunks cooking 10lb butts.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I use pecan chunks to produce a maximum amount of smoke during the first two, to two and a half hours.  I think anything past that time does little good to add "smoke tastes" to the meat since it is basically sealed. 
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,744
    I'm curious too. I used chips for my first butt and it was completely useless. I used chunks the second time, only added two chunks. I felt like it could have used more than that though.
    Chips I've found to be pretty useless unless just looking to throw a little smoke on to a chicken breast or hamburger.  Chunks are the way to go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • EvansEggerEvansEgger Posts: 54
    I use both chips and chunks and both give me a lot of smoke. I see no difference in the final outcome when using either one.
    Go Hogs Go
    ·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    I like a pretty heavy smokey taste, so I go with 6-8 nice size chunks of hickory or pecan for a BB.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    I started with four fist-sized apple chunks but found that they burned up in about an hour. So, I added four more to get me through the first few hours (turbo method)
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,742
    I am doing a 10 pounder starting tomorrow night. Did not have any apple chunks, but did have apple chips, I am using about 4 fist fulls. 
    ·