Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

How much wood for smoking butts?

MJGMJG Posts: 166
I am ready to go with my first smoke of Boston Butts in the LBGE. The lump is loaded but I am wondering how much wood to add in. I am using chunks of both Hickory and Apple. Thanks for any input.
Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
·

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,039
    Low and slow or another method? If less then 275* dome I'd say 2 chunks of each.  If going higher I'd use 3 or 4 chunks of each with one chunk of each really buried in the coals.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • I'm curious too. I used chips for my first butt and it was completely useless. I used chunks the second time, only added two chunks. I felt like it could have used more than that though.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 551
    I use 5 large chunks cooking 10lb butts.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I use pecan chunks to produce a maximum amount of smoke during the first two, to two and a half hours.  I think anything past that time does little good to add "smoke tastes" to the meat since it is basically sealed. 
    Pulled Pork Turbo Style 002.JPG
    2560 x 1920 - 2M
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,039
    I'm curious too. I used chips for my first butt and it was completely useless. I used chunks the second time, only added two chunks. I felt like it could have used more than that though.
    Chips I've found to be pretty useless unless just looking to throw a little smoke on to a chicken breast or hamburger.  Chunks are the way to go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • EvansEggerEvansEgger Posts: 54
    I use both chips and chunks and both give me a lot of smoke. I see no difference in the final outcome when using either one.
    Go Hogs Go
    ·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    I like a pretty heavy smokey taste, so I go with 6-8 nice size chunks of hickory or pecan for a BB.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    I started with four fist-sized apple chunks but found that they burned up in about an hour. So, I added four more to get me through the first few hours (turbo method)
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,661
    I am doing a 10 pounder starting tomorrow night. Did not have any apple chunks, but did have apple chips, I am using about 4 fist fulls. 
    ·