Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT - Squirrel Repellent Idea

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,599
My wife and I are trying to turn our thumbs green this year. We have all sorts of goodies that are growing great so far. My wife was really excited the other day when our first strawberry turned from green to red. Well yesterday I went back there and either squirrels or a rabbit tore into our strawberries. :( Having the day off today, I decided to play Mr. Martha Stewart.

First, I sprinkled some peppermint oil granules around the perimeter of the garden and then came up with this. Hot glued a bamboo skewer on the bottom of a glad ware cup. Used a hole punch and punched holes all around under the lip of the container. Then filled them with moth balls, placed the lid on and placed them periodically around the garden. The lid acts as a rain barrier so no water gets in. Squirrels don't like the smell of moth balls nor peppermint. I saw something similar on YouTube, but I used glad ware cups instead. We will see if it keeps them out.
image.jpg 3.5M

Comments

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,599
    Wish I could, VI. :) But I live in a subdivision. lol
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,464
    22 short is very quiet.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,860
    Sprinkle Bloodmeal around the plants. We had the same thing happen with some Heirloom Lilly fresh plants last yr and my wife used this stuff and no more nibblage

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    Yeah, I know WP. :) Still illegal where I live. ;) lol. I'll resort to moth balls for now before resorting to firearms. ;)
    Thx, Mattman! Where do you buy that from?
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    I use a airsoft (BB) 1911. I think it's a Crossman.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

We have bought at Walmart or Lowes in the pesticide section.

At lowes

image.jpg 27.2K

Thx, Matt! I will pick some up if the peppermint granules and mothballs don't do the trick.
    No problem, gotta save the veggies!!

• Firemedic183Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    Wolfpack said:
    22 short is very quiet.

A suppressor is even quieter. Very effective too. :D
    image.jpg 259.1K
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 133
    I had a problem with rabbits eating my blueberry plants (stripped the leaves and then ate the young shoots pretty much down to the roots).  After much trial and error, I found success with a product called Bitter Apple, available at big box pet stores, intended to keep dogs from chewing on stuff.  I apply in the evening and sometimes re-apply after rain; after a while, the little buggers get conditioned not to even try the plants.  I would test out on a few trial spots to make sure no adverse reaction with your particular plants.
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,006
    Didn't you just buy a BB gun for some birds?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,317
    trap,goobers, and a barrel of water, works every time. used to trap and find them a new home but the neighbor turned me in to conservation....they said to drown the varmints. no repellent works against a determined squirrel
    Ha! Yeah. I am equipped with lots of firearms, including a pellet gun. :) But you can't pick off every squirrel. I would like to deter them even when I'm not home to stand guard. ;)
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I bought this a couple of years ago, and after a few weeks, I haven't had to turn on the electric fence since.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Squirrel and bunnies is good eats

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,309
    edited May 2013
    Dyal_SC said:

Wish I could, VI. :) But I live in a subdivision. lol

Vi prolly lives in a neighborhood too, but it's Texas and everyone carries a judge

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I have 9 acres and plant a good size garden. The squirrels and rabbits and other varmints that are unfortunate enough to go in my garden only do it once.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

For those of you interested in the moth ball cups, I'll let you know if they work out. :)
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,285
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

(before the ASPCA comes a-knockin', I don't advocate this.  I did, however, laugh with great vigor).   

:D

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    That is friggn hilarious. Now thats a flying squirrel =))
    Ha! I saw a video where my buddy's buddy did something similar with a skeet thrower. :)
    BTW, finger off that trigger, VI! That's a bad habit. ;)
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Dyal_SC said:
    Good point.  But, notice the hammer isn't cocked, and I also don't keep a live round in the firing position.  It's also pointed at a picture of Mickey on the wall, so even if it went off .... yawn.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

=))
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,428
    VI shot the sheriff... But he did not shoot no deputy...
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,600
    Dyal_SC said:

Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire the weapon and always assume it's loaded.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN