Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you cook chicken breasts?

Ok I know, stupid question, but never cooked just chicken breasts on the egg. I have always done Spatch.

Mother's Day tradition in my wif'es family is Teriyaki Chicken Burgers. I have been told (jokingly) that if I attempt to change tradition my life will not be easy for some time. ;)

Anyway, we make a homemade teriyaki sauce that I am going to marinade the chicken breasts in for 24 hours, but how do you cook them?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Iève been giving them a hot sear on the ci in the woo and finishing raised grid. That's before I started with the sous vide

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i think i would flatten them, marinade, make a separate marinade for basting, then cook in a castiron or one of those steels and baste while it cooks. toss some lemon slices on the grill too, makes a nice presentation. what i like about the lemon slices thrown on half way thru the cook is that if the chicke is starting to burn on the exterior you can place it off the steel and onto the lemon to slow the exterior cooking to fast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I cook them raised direct at 400 to 160 internal. Great every time.

I am loving the Windows 8 issue. I now read all your posts with an "out-rrrageous accent"
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I would just grill them direct on the stainless steel grate at around 350 deg f dome temp until they register 160 deg f internal temp. If you have a way to raise your grate, that's even better. I suggest a lower temp like 350 (and not the CI grate) for the fact that the teriyaki sauce can burn a little due to the sugar content. But yours is homemade, so I could be wrong about that.
  • fishlessman
    new place near me uses alot of ginger in the marinade, its quite good and different from a regular terryaki
    fukahwee maine

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

We do chicken breasts usually once a week for that meal and to have some leftovers throughout the week for salads, fajitas or whatever.

Lots of ways to do them, but I marinate overnight and nornally just do raised direct at 400* for roughly 25 to 30 minutes.....flipping at the halfway mark....or until 170*+.  Always come off tender and juicy enough to cut/shred with a fork. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I cook a lot of Boneless skinless breasts.  I always brine them for 1-4 hours, time available decides.  I do a lite brine solution which equals 35 grams salt per liter of water.  Perhaps a teriyaki brine solution.  I then usually put a little dry rub on the breasts, type depends on what brine used.  Then I cook indirect at 400-425 degrees with lite cherry smoke.  They always turn out moist and tender and never burnt as can happen with searing and direct cooks.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I did chicken breasts last night at 400 direct.  It took about 25 minutes to hit 160 internal, and normally that would have been perfect.  But, since we were running late for baseball games, I didn't let them rest hardly at all. I immediately sliced them up for tacos. The cutting board was doused in juices, and the chicken tacos were dry and mealy.  If only I'd have waited a few more minutes. 

I'm nearly a year into egging, and oddly enough the things I screw up most are burgers and chicken breasts. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Soak in EVOO and cook at 375 indirect with applewood chips.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I made some this week marinated for an hour with oil-less Italian dressing, made into cutlets, pounded uniform and flat, then grilled direct at high heat, and quick.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2013
    flatten like @fishlessman said. by pounding of cutting. just don't like that big thick peace of meat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    edited May 2013
    i would also marinade some boneless skinless thighs, they taste better
    :D that would be adding to the tradition, not changing it, oh and make a sweet hot garlic thai dipping sauce.......
    fukahwee maine