Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck Cold Smoker

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I have been very interested for the past few months of a cold smoker. I have looked around at the one on Naked Whiz and the idea of having a Mini also and attach it to my large.

A few years ago prior to me owning and egg my Dad and I went to Jackson's (Outdoor goodie store here in Dallas) and I had said I wanted a smoker or an egg. My dad had this smoker that he had built when I was a kid and is a tank 400LBS of beast and told me I can have it since he was buying some monster of a new smoker. I agreed and used it a lot and loved it till my wife got me the egg last year. Well the old smoker sat outside then got wheeled into the garage and I cant part with it since it is a piece of my family. Well I had this old fire box also that came with it (Vogelzang Stove) and decided I can do something with that.

The piping is all heavy gauge till you get to the top of the egg and the exhaust vent that runs across the top. I started it this morning at 7AM and have some apple wood in the stove, inside the egg it is showing 110 at this time and has kept steady.

Only design flaw is trying to open the egg. It can be done its just putting it back together. Also the exhaust across the top is not scorching hot like I thought I was worried that might warp in the process.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

cs.JPG 682.5K

Comments

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    try taking your vent pipe in the lower vent on the egg for better smoking.
    I did something similar using a little electric smoker I have and dryer duct.
    Duncan, SC
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I was thinking along the same lines at @Mross. I still need to try and hook up my Mini and Large for cold smoking something. Of course, in a few weeks our Eggs will be able to hold 100 with no fire or smoke at all here in Dallas. Not looking forward to that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Yep this was a trial run to see what I thought, the next time I will go to bottom vent and try that route. Since I had the pieces all in place I figured what the hell and lets see what happens.
    I am ready for the 100 degree days I think.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Cool! Love to see great minds at work.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Just ate the salmon off this contraption and forgot to take pictures( sorry folks). I have done salmon before on the egg with a cedar plank and standard skin down and this way was mouth watering. The wife was floored by this new way.
    It is kinda a pain in the ass cooking it this way but the end results was incredible.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.