Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing pizza dough

Options
brycos
brycos Posts: 137
I've been buying dough from a local pizzaria.  I found out from one of the employees that they buy it frozen from a Brooklyn, NY company.  So my question to any of you pizza dough eggsperts is what's the best dough recipe so that I can make a bunch and freeze it?

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Zippy's dough freezes just fine.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    If (?) you want to load up your freezer with "dough balls" -- buy a case(thats how they are sold) at Sam's Club -- i think there are 18 pizza dough balls for $26.00 and each will make two pizzas.  I tried it, but i got tired of getting hit by dough balls every time i started looking for some MEAT to cook !! :D
  • brycos
    Options
    Thanks Griff! Good to hear.  I'm guessing it rises first then freeze?

Thanks Charlie!  Is the dough good?
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    We thought it was as good as home made!
  • lblanke
    lblanke Posts: 8
    Options
    the best i've found is www.craftsy.com/pizza.  Dough came out great the first time and I put two in the freezer which surprisingly turned out great as well.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would like to hear the eggspert opinions...how long will frozen dough stay good in the freezer?  Can you freeze it indefinitely? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have kept fresh made dough in the refrigerator for six days before using, it came out good, someone here said that was good for pizza dough ??
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I often buy it frozen from a local bakery. It must have got there somehow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    lblanke said:
    the best i've found is www.craftsy.com/pizza.  Dough came out great the first time and I put two in the freezer which surprisingly turned out great as well.
    +1. I'm about to use one of these dough balls that I made two weeks ago and pulled out of the freezer Tuesday evening
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    So, any thoughts on how long pizza dough will keep in the freezer?  I have googled the interwebs and found lots of different info ranging from 2 weeks to "indefinitely".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Options
    I have had the frozen Sam's Pizza dough balls in the freezer for eight months without any noticable problems..
  • brycos
    Options
    lblanke said:
    Thanks for the link! I'm going to be trying this out.
  • guyupnorth
    guyupnorth Posts: 7
    Options
    I always freeze dough once finding a good source.  Keeps longer than expected....here is a picture of some pizza made last weekend.  Each pizza dough was from a different place and purchased at different times....last summer!

All were perfectly fine.  I have since found a great pizza shop near me and have been buying the dough balls from them, six at a time and freezing what I don't use.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Nice- thanks everyone. I'm thinking of doing the same thing as @guyupnorth- would like to get some do-balls from different places and have them in the freezer.  

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No issues with any pizza dough freezing. Have done it before the first rise and after the same rise with no difference noticed, at least by me. 
    Never been in the freezer longer than 2 or 3 weeks around our house, although I've heard others keep frozen for months. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lblanke
    lblanke Posts: 8
    Options
    i would suggest not only looking at the recipe on crafty.com/pizza but also taking the time to watch the tutorials.  I think the technique he provides is as important as the recipe.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    For home made pizza dough, my recollection is the gurus on pizzamaking.com suggest a maximum of 30 days in the freezer.  Commercial dough often includes other stabilizers to allow for longer freezer life.  

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range