Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control with Eggware Cap

Hi All.  I recently purchased a vent cap from eggware.net.  I love the functionality of the gadget, and I like the fact that it is stainless steel versus cast iron. There are some serious advantages to this product.  I always believed that cast belongs inside the grill, stainless on the outside as an accessory to ceramic.  Is that BGE blasphemy?

At any rate, I'm very happy with the purchase.  My question is one of temperature control.  To anyone who has one of these offset smoker-like caps, have you found a way to burn at hot temperatures?  My max has been around 450 degrees Fahrenheit with the cap on, wide open.  When I take the top off, I can melt the moon, but I'd like a bit more control.  Any thoughts?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    For over 450, Take the cap off, adjust temp from the bottom.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Just like the cast iron DFMT, if you want to get really high temps you need to take the top cap off (as you know, it is very easy to do) of the stainless steel one like taz said above. I love mine and have easily controlled temps ranging from 240-nuclear with mine. So much better than the DFMT and ceramic cap IMO.
    Go Hogs Go
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Gonna have to take it off pops.

Don't have one but its same principle as the dw, need more airflow. And you can have extreme precision with just the bottom vent.

XLBGE 
  • SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    I've been using my Eggware cap for a few weeks now, I have probably done 5 or 6 cooks with it on. I find myself using the bottom vent more for temperature control, targeting anywhere between 250 - 500 F. I don't play with the cap positioning very much, it is usually fully open.

As others have said, I take the cap off for full nuclear mode.
    Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Great tips!  Thanks, everyone.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I have a DW I don't use unless I'm going below 275.  I control the temp most of the time with the bottom vent.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Well whats the issue with this thing??  Is it too restrictive or more restrictive than the factory cast iron unit?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Idk but it looks awesome...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EvansEgger
    EvansEgger Posts: 54
    Restrictive? As an owner of it who has put it through various tests, it isn't restrictive at all and IMO a lot better than the cast iron one. I would pay double for what I did for it. I love it and highly recommend it.
    Go Hogs Go
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Got past 750 with the eggware cap off, very happy with it. I put my OEM caps in storage.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein