Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 pound butt for Mother's Day

Picking up a 10 pound bone in butt tomorrow. Plans are to rub it down with mustard and rub tomorrow evening and then let it rest in the fridge overnight. Saturday, at about 7 pm it will be put on the grill for the night. Going to have the Egg at 300 degrees, plan is for about a 20 hours low and slow. Want to have it ready for about 3-4 pm. Does 2 hours per pound sound right? Wondering if I could get away with a little higher temp. I am nervous about doing a turbo (haven't done one yet) don't want to screw it up with company coming over. Pics will follow after the event.

Happy Mothers Day to all you Mom's out there. Enjoy the family time together.

Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    It probably won't take that long at 300, drop the temp to 275 you can FTC if its done too early or bump it up in the afternoon if it's stalled
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Sweet, I have done 8 pounders before, just didn't want to not have it ready for the company. Got four Mom's  and their families coming over. We have been having gorgeous weather. Sundays forecast,,,, rain. Dang. Oh well we will still enjoy the company.  
    Large, small, and a mini
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm cooking butt for Mother's Day too.

I'm put mine on at 6 am Sunday, and start around 250. When I get home from church, ill adjust for a 4 pm stop time.

Let some others chime in. But if you have to start the night before, your gonna wanna drop that temp.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have always heard 1.5 to 2 hours per lb at 250 dome as a guideline.  I would start at 250 at night and then kick up the temp if need be the next day. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smokesniffer

Thanks everyone, haven't done this big a butt ever so looking for info.

@ MCN you doing anything else for sides?

Large, small, and a mini
  • MrCookingNurse
    Yea bud, typically BBQ. Beans and tater salad.

I'm actually gonna inject this butt to give it a try.

XLBGE 
  • smokesniffer
    Good Luck. Ive been tossing the bean thing around as well
    Large, small, and a mini
  • MrCookingNurse
    Gotta have beans :) one my favorite is just beans and leftover pork and some bread

XLBGE 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    I have had pretty good luck with keeping grate temp around 215-220 and usually end up a little over 2 hours per pound. But it is always a crap shoot. Cook to 200 degrees and it will be fine. I agree with @smokingdawg82 that you are going to want to go with a lower temp if you are going to overnight. And when in doubt, start it a little early and FTC for as much as several hours if you need to. It's much easier to keep it warm than hurry it along at the end.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,171
    All good info above-250 on the dome is around 220 at the grate.  Make sure your dome thermo is calibrated and make sure the BGE is stable before turning in.  Don't know the BGE size but if you have cooked 8# butts before with good success and plenty of remaining lump then just extrapolate those cooks for the 2#'s of additional pork.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bham_egger
    Bham_egger Posts: 196
    I agree 300 is a little high. I like 225 at the grid. I'm in the home stretch of an 8 #er I started at 3 am. Been about 225 the whole time. I have done several in other cookers, but this is my first on the egg. Seems to like its gonna be close to 15 hrs for my 8#er at 225 ish.
  • smokesniffer
    Always love the input, helps to solidify the mentality of the cook. Love the advice from the pros Hopefully.it should be another fine meal off of the Egg.
    Large, small, and a mini