Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for first time out.

2»

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If I had to do it over I would not have gotten place setter. I would have got the adjustable rig oval with stone and spider and....
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Chubbs said:
    Have a cold drink........................................Always let the grey/white smoke clear before you put food on.
    Two most important things. Third is buy a camera. 
    I have a difficult time typing. I really resent you condensing my reply...just sayin'
    :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Welcome Charlie, Im from Cleveland TN. too.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374

You are going to love the egg it is a new grilling experience. I live in Chattanooga. happy cooking.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35
    Welcome, you are about to get hooked on Egg.  We are just a couple of weeks ahead of you.  We had to order our XLBGE and throughout the wait, I was able to get great startup advice and feedback here on the Forum and had both the Thermapen & Maverick before we began.  I felt it was good to have them just to give understanding to degree differential between dome and grill as well as effect on food temp.  We started with 4 vertical chickens, using 3 different methods but all turned out fantastic and plenty of leftovers for the freezer. After reading up in the Forum, we decided to go with the pulled pork on the 2nd which gave hours of low and slow gasket break-in time. Another success and we are still enjoying sandwiches from it.  This week tried the chicken bombs and, like they say here, stick with the suggestions and recipes you find here --  can't go wrong! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Chubbs said:
    Have a cold drink........................................Always let the grey/white smoke clear before you put food on.
    Two most important things. Third is buy a camera. 
    I have a difficult time typing. I really resent you condensing my reply...just sayin'
    :D
    Dang Chubbs, I am sorry. You see I don't normally read your posts.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I would go with chicken first. Most people say spatchcock, but we aren't really a fan of white meat. Our first cook was thighs.

As for the book, the only worth it has would be to light a chimney starter but even that is worthless as you have an Egg and don't need a chimney starter anymore.

You might save yourself some money on the V-rack. I don't have one and have never needed one. What do you want it for?

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the ride.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Would I be able to simply run the grill for a bit low and slow to play around with temp and then cook something a bit quicker later?

i think thats a good plan, maybe bring it slowly up for a low and slow 250 and cook some bacon, when thats done bring it up to 325 and cook some abt's, when thats done bring it up to 400 and cook some oil and salt coated baked potatoes to go with that bacon. you will be more confident on your next cook with temp control. practice moving the temps up slowly and not overshooting them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    Griffin said:

I would go with chicken first. Most people say spatchcock, but we aren't really a fan of white meat. Our first cook was thighs.

As for the book, the only worth it has would be to light a chimney starter but even that is worthless as you have an Egg and don't need a chimney starter anymore.

You might save yourself some money on the V-rack. I don't have one and have never needed one. What do you want it for?

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the ride.

I was looking at the v rack for ribs, larger roasts, whole birds and such.  Of course now I'm liking the idea of the spatchcock method for birds.

I deer hunt and have some nice roasts along with some beef roasts I've been saving for the egg.  Figured mainly it would make it easier to get out of the egg.

I'm open to any suggestions and don't want to be spending money just to have accessories that I never wind up using.

• TwoCooks
    TwoCooks Posts: 35
    CharlieTN, I think it is just a matter of personal choice.  We had purchased the V-rack with idea of smoking whole turkey as well as ribs in mind before I ever read much in the Forum.  We have already used it twice in our first 3 cooks and haven't even gotten to turkey or ribs yet. But, like mentioned by Griffen if you don't have it, may never miss it, LOL.