Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Help With Roasting Peppers

Does anyone have a foolproof technique for roasting peppers without victimizing the outside?  I have pulled it off on occasion, but it is more of an accident than anything predictable. 
Austin, Texas
Vaya con Dios

Comments

• egger aveegger ave Posts: 502

TEggSun said:
    Does anyone have a foolproof technique for roasting peppers without victimizing the outside?  I have pulled it off on occasion, but it is more of an accident than anything predictable. 
    I roast lots of peppers and get pretty good results. I use a grill basket and turn them often until they turn brown and skin splits. My favorite is Hatch peppers that should be available fresh in August.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 247
    The outside of a pepper is indigestible. I recommend victimizing them and peeling the outer skin off. The outer skin has none of the flavor or nutritional value, and as I stated earlier, indigestible.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 5,988

x1 on what @pgprescott said. Rub some oil on them and toss them directly on the coals. Let that skind blister up and put in a ziplock bag or a bowl covered in saran wrap, allow to cool and pull off the skin.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,732
    Griffin said:

x1 on what @pgprescott said. Rub some oil on them and toss them directly on the coals. Let that skind blister up and put in a ziplock bag or a bowl covered in saran wrap, allow to cool and pull off the skin.

The outside of a pepper is indigestible. I recommend victimizing them and peeling the outer skin off. The outer skin has none of the flavor or nutritional value, and as I stated earlier, indigestible.

Didn't know that. Thanks guys.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 494
    I sometimes will do them inside on my gas stove.  Using a BBQ Fork or tongs will put them right into the gas flame, put in a ziploc or paper bag for a few minutes, then scrape off the outside w/ a knife.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 212
    Thanks for all of the feedback.  I learn more on this forum than I did in my entire formal education.  Perhaps that is more of an indictment on my attention span than anything else. 
    Austin, Texas
    Vaya con Dios
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,030
    I get the egg ripping hot and do them on the ci grid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TwoCooksTwoCooks Posts: 35
    thetrim said:
    I sometimes will do them inside on my gas stove.  Using a BBQ Fork or tongs will put them right into the gas flame, put in a ziploc or paper bag for a few minutes, then scrape off the outside w/ a knife.
    Above is the method I use.  Now that we have perfected the technique, what is everyone's favorite use for them?  I personally love roasted red peppers and IMO, they color up and add flavor to just about anything.  When local grocery has them marked to 77 cents a piece, I buy up the store and roast away!! They freeze nice, just be sure to separate with wax paper for easy thaw removal.  Just the RRR with butter and bread makes a tasty dietary sandwich.  My latest experiment was roasted red pepper soup.  Took 15 peppers but was thick and rich and full of flavor! 
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,030
    edited May 2013
    I do a roasted red pepper and tomato soup as well. Butter and full cream. Grilled vegetable sandwiches are fantastic too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapplehenapple Posts: 10,140
    @TEggSun... Where'd you go to school? University of Alabama?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,543
    edited May 2013
    Recently roasted some peppers to use in a few different ways. Some ended up in a jar with olive oil for snacks.
    After they were roasted I places them in a gallon zip lock bag and into the frig overnight. Normally an hour or so in the bag is enough to peel the charred skin off.
    Some were added to make some chicken adeana which I have done before.

Richard Melbooooring Fl.