Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

America's 5 Best BBQ Hotspots (according to Maxim)

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited May 2013
    Might have to check out The Joint since it's the closest one to me..

@nolaegghead, any experiences there?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    I've been to The Joint and it was good, but I've definitely had better. It's a Triple D spot:

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I guess I'm gonna have to try Fox Bros BBQ if I find myself downtown! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    I highly disagree with The Joint being on this list.  I am from New Orleans, but spent my college days in Texas and got my law degree in Georgia, so I have sampled my fair share of BBQ.  

The Joint does not belong on any national lists.  It is okay for New Orleans BBQ, but that is not saying much.  The Shed in Ocean Springs, MS and Williamson Brothers BBQ in Marietta, GA are both far superior to The Joint, not to mention countless other places.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • cazzy

I highly disagree with The Joint being on this list.  I am from New Orleans, but spent my college days in Texas and got my law degree in Georgia, so I have sampled my fair share of BBQ.  

The Joint does not belong on any national lists.  It is okay for New Orleans BBQ, but that is not saying much.  The Shed in Ocean Springs, MS and Williamson Brothers BBQ in Marietta, GA are both far superior to The Joint, not to mention countless other places.
    I agree, it was good but not memorable. I remember every detail of our meals at Port of Call and Willie Mae's Scotch House. I just remember eating at The Joint.

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    cazzy said:

I agree, it was good but not memorable. I remember every detail of our meals at Port of Call and Willie Mae's Scotch House. I just remember eating at The Joint.
    Willie Mae's is out of this world.  The considerably longer lines these days after all the food network publicity keep me from going very often (which is probably a good thing), but man do I enjoy it when I get to go.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013

cazzy said:

Willie Mae's is out of this world.  The considerably longer lines these days after all the food network publicity keep me from going very often (which is probably a good thing), but man do I enjoy it when I get to go.

That chicken is insane! ^:)^

Have you been to Port of Call. Great burger man:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    +1 port of call
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'm trying to figure out how travis's back deck didn't make it... Or cali's pool cookery :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

That chicken is insane! ^:)^ Have you been to Port of Call. Great burger man: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Been to Port of Call many times.  Used to go often in highschool and college for burgers and monsoons.  They are great.  New Orleans has had a burger renaissance in the last several years though.  Personal favorite is Company Burger followed by Tru Burger.  I do still try to make it back to Port of Call once in a blue moon for a burger and a monsoon or 2. 
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    never been to "the Joint" so can't comment. 

but i do go to Fox Bros almost every Friday for lunch and it is amazing (the Friday special is pastrami, so yummy). On Saturday they have beef short ribs that are out of this world.
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited May 2013
    ^:)^  Port of Call ^:)^

Thanks for the tips on The Joint.. I live near one of The Sheds, and it's definitely some good eatin..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    There are better places in KC than jack stack IMO
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I certainly hope so.......it was good, but not what I was hoping for with all the hype. Same with Arthur Bryants, that was just ok BBQ at best. I heard Oklahoma Joe's and and some other small place is the best in kc.
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Oklahoma Joe's is the top spot in KC.  It is amazing stuff and Anthony Bourdain has it as one of the 13 places to eat before you die.  http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/must-visit-restaurants 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Harmening said:

Maxim is a little "suspect" with their best of lists.

They ranked Miley Freakin' Cyrus as the hottest woman of the year.
    :puke:
    No wonder I stopped reading it.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    It's a ridiculous concept, to say you can pick the top 5 of something like BBQ from among thousands, especially knowing that you haven't sampled them all nor are even aware of them all. Now, to list 5 five-stars (or however many stars you want for best score) of something is not a ridiculous concept. The writer and the publisher are just looking to stir things up and bring attention to themselves, call it media buzz, something that many people will react to. Like I'm doing.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    It's a ridiculous concept, to say you can pick the top 5 of something like BBQ from among thousands, especially knowing that you haven't sampled them all nor are even aware of them all. Now, to list 5 five-stars (or however many stars you want for best score) of something is not a ridiculous concept. The writer and the publisher are just looking to stir things up and bring attention to themselves, call it media buzz, something that many people will react to. Like I'm doing.

Yeah, especially the ones you see in the airline magazines.  They're advertisements.  You pay to place yourself on the ranking in the "Top 10 Seafood Restaurants in the US".  I'm sure they have some sort of minimum criteria to keep Red Lobster from buying slot #1, but in the end, they're an ad.

Food is so regionalized and subjective, I don't know how you could ever have a creditable list for the entire country.  The local papers or city magazines usually do pretty good with reader's polls.......ours breaks them down for chain and standalones as well after Hardee's won "Best Burger in St. Louis".  WTF? 

What gets me is when one of these national lists or TV shows puts a restaurant on, all the sudden it's the favorite in the city by everyone.......not because it's any good, but because some personality/writer told them it was.  Bandwagon advertising--and they fall for it hook, line, and sinker.  There's quite a few here in STL that have become the "favs" and tourist destinations for reasons none other than pure hype.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Ok tell us more, which ones do u like??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    For brisket I like OK joes. I wish I knew how they could get that level of smoke flavor, tenderness, AND moisture. I haven't been able to reproduce it. I wonder if perhaps they reheat it by some kind of steaming process?

For pulled pork I prefer Arthur Bryant's in the ghetto (not the one at legends).

For ribs, I think Jack Stack is up there, but there's a place called RJ's near Shawnee/Mission that has been really good. RJs also does some breakfast bbq dishes for after a night of drinking.

For sides, jack stack cheesy corn, RJs fries, and Smoke House for the baked beans.

I live up north and its sort of slim pickens up here tbh. We will do smokehouse if I don't have time to cook for family coming into town but most of the best places are downtown or Kansas side.

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    No places from Memphis or the Carolinas? #nocredibility 

(yes, I make up hashtags on websites that don't use them)