Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket beginner help

Bigbird74Bigbird74 Posts: 0
I have trimmed and dry rubbed a packer brisket on my large egg. I start by getting temp to 250ish and throw it on about 10 at night. I have burnt two now but still can salvage some chop out of the point. Also I set the pacesetter legs up and put a pan of apple juice and Worcester. I monitored closely before going to sleep then woke up about 3:30am an it was already burnt. That means it was only cooking about 5 hours and the end of the flat was dry and charred.

Any recommendations?
·

Comments

• It's not charred. It supposed to look like a meteorite. Unless your dome thermo is way off, you are pulling it way too early. A big packer should take 15-20 hours at that temp. If you put it on at 10pm, don't even open the dome or look at the temp until the morning. I don't even put my maverick in (if I do at all) until the next morning

Here is what mine look like when I pull them off:

imageimage

·
  • cbr0011cbr0011 Posts: 85
    Cen-Tex Smoker- When you do a brisket are you monitoring the temp of the dome or the temp of the grate?
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    Sometimes neither. It's not that important if you are between 225 and 275 (or 300 even) I don't hawk temps much anymore. The more you measure, the longer it seems to take. Get your egg locked in at 250-275 dome, grab a beer, play with the dog, kids, wife (depending on where you are in life) and check on it in 12 hours to see where you are.
    I like this sentiment, but don't have the testicular fortitude to put it into practice. 
    :-SS

@BigBird if the flat was tough, and dry, chances are it was still undercooked. you don't get that goodness until the meat is close to 200. Forget rare\medium\well with brisket. 

out of curiosity, have you calibrated your dome? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,060
    Brisket will be dry if it is undercooked too. It gets moist when all the cartilage and stuff renders

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757

Meteorite is the look you are going for. Hope you didn't think it was burnt and tossed it before trying to slice it (and do slice against the grain).image

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Do you have a thermopen? Have you calibrated your dome thermometer?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,142
    edited May 2013
    It's a meteorite party! \:D/

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Don't judge a book by its cover because underneath, there is nothing but goodness!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    Here 's mine: looks like lump!
    With a secret juicy surprise.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    ·
  • all of these were WAY better than the brisket I had yesterday at the supposedly up and coming challenger to the best TX BBQ. 

·
    CT, Not sure but I think these guys are spraying with liquid for the pics

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • CT, Not sure but I think these guys are spraying with liquid for the pics
    Probably baby oil :))

Cheaters

·
    Ya just cant trust them :^o

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited May 2013
    B-) :D

Has to to be. that last one is a damn Yankee brisket!!!!!! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,142
    Haters gonna hate! B-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    tazcrash said:
    B-) :D

Has to to be. that last one is a damn Yankee brisket!!!!!! 
    Remember Taz....you're all Yankees to us :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    cazzy said:
    Haters gonna hate! B-)
    @cazzy: sippin too much of that green hater-ade!!!! 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    ·