Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We may still be full from Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we’re not already looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner, too! Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Map torch egg light

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386

That's a great point you made there. The torch is a little more initial work, but after that 1 min, I close the dome and go inside and it sets itself pretty much.

With the fire starters, are there every any duds?

I'm nowhere near a minute with the Map. Maybe on WW or some of the more dense stuff. I'll time it tonight but I'm thinking 20 seconds

Oh I know man. I'd agree with 20 seconds. I was just saying like hypothetically saying a min for the whole process time cause that other guy was knocking the torch.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,586

I understand. I'm going to time it tonight anyway for my own info.

Caledon, ON

• WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 115
    Thanks Mr Cooking Nurse!  I was the one who requested your assistance.  After watching your video and others, I'm thinking a torch is not the best option for me.  I live in a fire-prone area with frequent winds.  Knowing my luck, the sparks and embers flying from the egg while using a torch will set the hills around me on fire.

Too bad...looks like a great way to start the egg!

Thanks again for the help!
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,868
    Personally, I use the tears of king Ra. I find them to be the superior starting method.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • freduc2freduc2 Posts: 69
    This is what I use. Light it, shove it in the coals and walk away. You could move it around but I just light front center and let the draft do the work.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • SensFanSensFan Posts: 41
    Nice tool what's the rubber tube thingy called?? Propane hose or something?
    I think its just large latex. It was a kit from my local BGE dealer.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,575
    edited May 2013

freduc2 said:
    I think its just large latex. It was a kit from my local BGE dealer.
    I think it might be the BBQ Guru Golf club:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

That's it. You'd think I'd remember a name like that. It works great.