Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Smoking Bacon Question

Gonna give hot smoking some pork belly a try, but I have a question. Up until now, I've cold smoked with my A-maze-N pellet smoker with great results. I would like to use it for my hot smoke, because I love the consistency. Would it work if I lit my fire, and placed my AMPS elevated on my spider? Would the heat from bellow possibly ignite all the pellets, thus rendering the maze useless? Thoughts or tips appreciated.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    No need for the AMS when hot smoking. You can add chips or chunks of your favorite wood to your fire. Cook at 200 until the internal temp. is 150-160.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have actually used the AMS pellets as smoke on a cook as well too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    As in a pork butt cook
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I smoke bacon at 200-225 and internal temp of 160 with a PS. I use pecan and hickory chunks. I did a batch of 20 lbs. 2 weekends ago. It turned out great.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited May 2013
    Chubbs said:
    I have actually used the AMS pellets as smoke on a cook as well too.

Did you throw it right on the lump? I do want to use it because I love the nice consistent smoke from it?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I have done hot and cold smoked bacon. When I do hot I don't use the amnps, I just use chunks or chips, more than I would use for a long low and slow since the belly only stays on for a few hours.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    I've been thinking about making an attempt at bacon. Which is the better method - hot or cold smoke? Or is it a personal preference sort of thing?

Any other tips that anyone wants to include will be appreciated as well.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    twlangan said:

I've been thinking about making an attempt at bacon. Which is the better method - hot or cold smoke? Or is it a personal preference sort of thing?

Any other tips that anyone wants to include will be appreciated as well.
    Hot smoke has a firmer texture cold smoke is more like store bought. Both are great but it's totally a preference of personal choice. I like cold smoke in my opinion.

Also to the op I just used like double the wood I used on a low and slow for hot smoked bacon. Got a lot of color in the time. Kinda dug a hole in the burning coals and packed it full of wood before adding plate setter.