Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Map torch egg light

2»

Comments

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,302

@smokeypitt
    That's a great point you made there. The torch is a little more initial work, but after that 1 min, I close the dome and go inside and it sets itself pretty much.

With the fire starters, are there every any duds?

I'm nowhere near a minute with the Map. Maybe on WW or some of the more dense stuff. I'll time it tonight but I'm thinking 20 seconds

Oh I know man. I'd agree with 20 seconds. I was just saying like hypothetically saying a min for the whole process time cause that other guy was knocking the torch.

XLBGE 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

I understand. I'm going to time it tonight anyway for my own info.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 105
    Thanks Mr Cooking Nurse!  I was the one who requested your assistance.  After watching your video and others, I'm thinking a torch is not the best option for me.  I live in a fire-prone area with frequent winds.  Knowing my luck, the sparks and embers flying from the egg while using a torch will set the hills around me on fire.

Too bad...looks like a great way to start the egg!

Thanks again for the help!
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Personally, I use the tears of king Ra. I find them to be the superior starting method.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • freduc2freduc2 Posts: 69
    This is what I use. Light it, shove it in the coals and walk away. You could move it around but I just light front center and let the draft do the work.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
    ·
  • SensFanSensFan Posts: 41
    Nice tool what's the rubber tube thingy called?? Propane hose or something?
    ·
    I think its just large latex. It was a kit from my local BGE dealer.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,871
    edited May 2013

freduc2 said:
    I think its just large latex. It was a kit from my local BGE dealer.
    I think it might be the BBQ Guru Golf club:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    That's it. You'd think I'd remember a name like that. It works great.
    ·