Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Setting Temperatures

Options
I just got my lg egg, and I have read through most of the forum, but I have some questions regarding basic adjustments for setting temps. If you break it down to three different regimes, 1 - smoking 225-275,  2 - grilling 350-400, and  3 - searing/pizza 600-700,

How do you initially set the bottom and top vents for all three?

How do you make adjustments (top or bottom vent)?

Any other tricks or tips regarding setting temps?

Thanks,
Jim

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Many ways to do this but here is what I do:

1. Bottom vent maybe 1/8" open.  Daisy Wheel with petals 1/2 open

2. Bottom vent maybe 1" open.  Daisy Wheel with petals open.

3. Bottom Vent maybe 2" open.  No Daisy Wheel.

Tip one.  It's easier to adjust temps up than down.

Tip two.  Need to give adjustments time.

Tip three.  Just get in a certain range, don't try to hit a specific temp.

Tip four.  When adjusting temps, always stay hydrated.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    here is the quick answer: 
    1) smoking, bottom vent open to a coin slot, top just about 1/4 - 1/2 petal open.
    2) grilling, bottom vent open a couple inches, no top
    3) pizza, bottom open wider, still no top. 

For smoking adjustments on the top, otherwise... you guess it. Has to happen by the bottom for my set-ups. 

I bet you've already seen trying not to let the egg overshoot the temp. 
    Also don't be worried when you put in a cold plate setter, and big hunk of meat, and the thermo drops like a rock. Don't start chasing it. 

HTH 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

First-- WELCOME ABOARD !!  The question you ask, like many,many other questions about egging has many CORRECT answers, but thats a good thing, because that's what you are looking for!!  The reason i am explaining this is, don't get confused with the many different directions you might be directed to reach the conclusion -- "GOOD FOOD!!!  From my prospective:  Your "breakdown" is correct to a certain point!! 

You know the basics of the egg's operation and that by controlling the air entering the egg is the operator's method of maintaining a certain cooking, refered to "dome", temperature.  Right off the bat, you asked, "How do you make adjustments(top or bottom)?  Well, you will learn there are many different opinions.  Mine, and it might be the wrong way, but it works for me, is i "usually" operate with my bottom vent "wide open" and control my "Dome Temperature" by the function of the "top vent".  Others do it the opposite way, and others use both vents!!!  And, since you have a new egg, your factory gasket is new and seals good.  As you burn up your gasket, and you will, the air entering your egg will increase, changing the normal settings of your vent(s).  So you can't just make a mental memory point of a vent's position and say "thats it" -=- because it is going to change as your egging continues.  The main thing is learning how to control your egg's "dome temperature".  I agree with many here that will recommend, before you even start cooking(with real food) on your egg, to load it up with lump, and play with it and watching how fast it responds to vent movements, and very important how it can be increased very fast, but how slow it responds to reduced temperature operation.  While doing this, try to understand and accomplish reaching and KNOWING what "stabilized temperatures" means..

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    tazcrash said:

here is the quick answer: 

1) smoking, bottom vent open to a coin slot, top just about 1/4 - 1/2 petal open.
    2) grilling, bottom vent open a couple inches, no top
    3) pizza, bottom open wider, still no top. 

For smoking adjustments on the top, otherwise... you guess it. Has to happen by the bottom for my set-ups. 

I bet you've already seen trying not to let the egg overshoot the temp. 
    Also don't be worried when you put in a cold plate setter, and big hunk of meat, and the thermo drops like a rock. Don't start chasing it. 

HTH 
    +1

XLBGE 
  • jimbo770
    jimbo770 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks, I know there will be a learning curve, I just wanted just a starting point for reference. I have read to start at lower temp cooks and work up to acclimate the ceramic. I wanted to grill some pork tenderloin tonight, so I was planning on firing up the grill a few hours early and let it run in the 250 degree range, and then bring it up to the 350-400 degree range. Any problems with that plan? How many cooks should I do before doing a high temp cook?
    Thanks again,
    Jim

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Jimbo, Pork Tenderloin is one of the easiest.  Provided you have a method to determine the internal temperature?  I cook mine, direct(exposed to the heat source below) at gasket level between 350 to 400 degrees(dome) turning to get a nice sear on all sides but pull it at 140 degrees.  Allow it to rest at least fifteen minutes before cutting and serving.  Prep is up to you, Simple S&P will be fine....  Oh, and don't forget the camera!!!  
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Jimbo here is an earlier thread that has picture breakdowns of different vent settings for different temps. This should help you get started http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/746823/vent-settings-a-visual-guide/p1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.