Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

soapstone pizza stone?

Does anyone use one of these? I have a co-worker that raves about them in his oven and am considering purchasing one for my large BGE.

Rochester, MN  --- Large BGE

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would consider calling customer service to see the heat ratig before dropping 75 bones.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    +1  on checking rating, they do use it on woodstoves, It will hold the heat for a long time, a real bummer to clean, would definitely use parchment paper while using it. they look nice.
  • SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    good advice @Chubbs, I sent them an email. Will report back here with my findings.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Let us know what they say. They look nice for sure
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Chubbs said:
    Let us know what they say. They look nice for sure
    Sure, but for how long? 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited May 2013
    i have one thats less than half as thick and it lasted for years, always did it over an indirect setup. now when it eventually cracked i was cooking at 1200 degreesF
    :D its cracked but not broken, still cooking on it. one side for pizza, the other side as a griddle. mine had a fancy copper band that is worthless now. i would think at that thickness it would be fine and if your afraid of exposure to flames, they make beautiful woodstoves in vermont from soapstone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Check out Tulikivi wood stoves:

Soapstone should work well. We used to have soapstone countertops. Soapstone is really heavy, soft, and porous. So handle with care.
  • I've used a 17"x17"x1.5" stone in my oven for years and I love it!  I'm considering getting it cut down to fit my egg.  Wouldn't do pizza or bread without it :)

• SamMiller0
    SamMiller0 Posts: 38
    got a response from Jay Tauber:

Thank you for contacting Soapstone Pizza Stones.

We have sold many of your soapstone pizza stones to customers with Big Green Egg grills and have not heard back any negative feedback, positive.
    Our recommendations is 1 3/16" thick.  If you are interested in our 14, 16" or 18" x 1 3/16z round you can purchase on line. Or if you have a custom size let us know.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Soapstone is pretty porous. I was looking at it for our kitchen island and they said it needed to be oiled once a year. I wonder if that would be good on pizzas. I have a lodge ci pan and I put a little oil in it for every pie. Really crisps the bottom

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    I suggest you spend the $75 on a Baking Steel.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Soapstone can take tremendous abuse. The old tabletops in my high school chemistry lab were soapstone. Even as a young punk, the durability impressed me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Soapstone is pretty porous. I was looking at it for our kitchen island and they said it needed to be oiled once a year. I wonder if that would be good on pizzas. I have a lodge ci pan and I put a little oil in it for every pie. Really crisps the bottom

The reason soapstone is recommended to be oiled is because it is so dense it will not let a sealer absorb and most people don't like the color of soapstone in its natural state, usually light gray or green so the oil is added to help achieve the patina or color that is desired. Normally applied once a year after patina is reached. Varieties with a high talc content will actually blow up or crack under high heat.  OK enough rambling, Sorry  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Would buy but couldn't afford pizza ingredients after.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I may have to see if we have any scrap outback of the shop.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

A god damn Einstein you are.