Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First Pork Butt next weekend

deenetdeenet Posts: 10
Next weekend, I am going to cook my first pork butt in my BGE. I do not have a plate setter so here is my plan.

Friday afternoon, I am going to coat the meet with mustard then some kind of pork rub then wrap in plastic wrap and stick in in the fridge. Friday night I am going to completely clean vacuum out the BGE, fill with lump and a few medium pieces of mesquite. I plan on lighting the fire at the top center and giving the BGE temp some time to stabilize to 225-250. I am going to set a drip-pan with about 1 inch of some kind of beer and place it in the center of the grate and place a fire brick on each side of the pan. On top of the bricks and drip pan, I am placing a smaller grate and finally the pork butt. I will be using a digital meat thermometer and I will check occasionally until it reaches 195-200. Once the temp range is reached, I will test with a meat probe to see if the meat is tender enough, and if so, I will remove the butt from the egg, wrap it in aluminium foil and place in a cooler for an hour or so. 

That's the plan for now. I live in the Fort Worth area. Does anybody have any recommendations on the type of mustard and rub to use? Any advice on any step of this process would be greatly appreciated!

Comments