Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to build my table today: tips wanted

2»

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    And the umbrella will be just for rainy days. Won't stay on. Usually be in corner of garage. From SC so gonna get one with palmetto tree and crescent moon on.
    I'm also big into Yeti coolers so gonna use one of their bottle openers I think. Found a cool bulldog one in UK but don't want to pay shipping ha. And found another made from nuclear weapon case but don't want to pay $70 for a bottle opener.
    Boom
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Table is looking really good!  I'm a FanOfFanOfFanBoys' table. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Man, looks good. I can't wait for you to drive Over and help me build mine.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FanOfFanboys
    Chubbs said:

Man, looks good. I can't wait for you to drive Over and help me build mine.

I would actually be really interested in that.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys

Table is looking really good!  I'm a FanOfFanOfFanBoys' table. 

Thanks. I'll bump this thread Sat when its completed and the Egg is in it's new home. Won't have the flag by then but will be breaking in the Egg Saturday.
    Going to be building a clubhouse for my boy this weekend. Thinking smell of pulled pork would be nice aroma while working
    Boom
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Are you going to protect the stain with a topcoat like polyurethane?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Seph1
    Seph1 Posts: 1
    Measure once, cut twice. Or something like that.
    Nice looking table so far, what stain did you use?  How long did you have to let it dry?
  • FanOfFanboys
    Seph1 said:

Nice looking table so far, what stain did you use?  How long did you have to let it dry?

Olympic stain + sealant. Two coats. 24 hours between coats. Did first coat last night. It's a 4 year protectant
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    QDude said:

Hadn't planned to. Should I?
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

Seph1 said:

Olympic stain + sealant. Two coats. 24 hours between coats. Did first coat last night. It's a 4 year protectant

That's some nice stuff. That's what I used. And yes I'd put min wax spar poly urathaine on it. At least I did on the top level. Really seals it hard and makes it easy to clean.

XLBGE 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Hadn't planned to. Should I?
    Yes.  The stain only colors the wood.  You should get a product that offers UV protection if the table will be exposed to the sun.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You could drop a nice board in the top by routing out an area for it to sit in.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FanOfFanboys
    henapple said:

You could drop a nice board in the top by routing out an area for it to sit in.

The stain I bought says it has UV protection. http://www.olympic.com/products/stains/13
    Now if I should do something on top I certainly will. Just want to clarify not doubling up if not needed.
    Cooking nurse made it sound like would get that hard clear top layer as opposed to just a stain. If that's correct then I def want that
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Meant to quote qdude
    Boom
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

With that stain/sealant, you should be fine with that alone.  I used their 6-year product also with UV protection and it weathers very well sitting in the sun/elements and wipes clean with a wet rag.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• MrCookingNurse
    @fanoffanboys

there is a sealant with uv protection in that you used, but a coat of urathaine is totally different.  I will try to get some pictures of my table when I get home and show you. My table looks like colored wood, stained, yes it is sealed and beads water, but is nothing like a good coat of urathaine.

my top level has two coats of urathaine it, it is hard and i can just wipe it clean when I need to.  hope I can get some pics to show you.  YOu may not want that type of finish, I like the high gloss look on the top.  

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Poly comes in 3 finishes. Satin, semi and gloss. Before you do that (and I would) be sure your stain will take a poly topcoat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Ok I think I get what y'all are saying. I def want that hard clear layer on top.
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    I just didn't wanna go to the trouble of putting it on whole thing. Now I like the contrast of the rougher looking frame and a nice clean top.

XLBGE 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    And I should have included that mine has primarily a granite top and only has upward facing wood framing the Egg.  If my workspace was wood, I would probably go ahead and put the urethane coating on as well.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• MrCookingNurse
    Top with 2 coats of spar poly urathaine min wax

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Bottom shelf just the stain sealant you have. This is the cedar natural tone I think.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Hope this helps.

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Thanks a lot cooking nurse. It looks good
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Finally finished. Gonna do a few small touch ups and add some accessories. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Now I have a question about this. Enamel came off from plastic melting in the nest. Suggestions? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse

Finally finished. Gonna do a few small touch ups and add some accessories. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Table looks great man!! I added some more hooks on to mine today.

The mothership will send you touch up paint. Just call or email them.

XLBGE 
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    My top is granite, we cut holes to size listed on the plans for BGE table from the BGE site. After a couple of uses I had them come back and open up the hole another inch to increase the air gap. The granite was getting very hot with the original hole, much better now. Suggest you add an inch to the hole diameter. Also the table nest is worth buying as it creates a good air gap on the bottom of the egg.
  • FanOfFanboys
    I went with a 22.5" hole. Big but should give plenty of room
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    And what's best way to contact HQ about that chip? Number or email?
    Boom