Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halibut?

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
Wife picked up halibut fillets from a good market for dinner. I've grilled steaks but never fillets. I love it en papillote but haven't done any fish sous vide yet. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    I don't have a answer pal! But Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day! and I hope you get a answer to your question!! I hope to see you in Georgia, but you will have to bring all of your own supplies because I am not cooking :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    When I lived in Alaska and could catch the things, I wrapped in tin foil and filled with goodies.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    personally I would cook it alder planked, probly no smoke, I think its to mild for smoke, IMO. The plank will give it just a little something.  cook it around 250 to 300. mabey 30 mins or so, then a nice lemon sauce, just make that up. just saying, you know how I am.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I would cook them like I cooked my Chilean Sea Bass. Amazing meal!

Cooked them in parchment paper...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144818/my-attempt-at-chilean-sea-bass#latest
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Lmao, I just re-read my thread and you recommend the paper pouch hahaha
  • Yes- I'll have TFJ chime in when she gets home. She does SV halibut in an Asian broth with noodles that is to die for. I think it's on here. I'll check. Great stuff and Halibut is out of this world SV with a hard sear on one side.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Yes- I'll have TFJ chime in when she gets home. She does SV halibut in an Asian broth with noodles that is to die for. I think it's on here. I'll check. Great stuff and Halibut is out of this world SV with a hard sear on one side.

dangit- not on here. You are on  your own. I have a feelin gyou might be able to figure this out :). Seriously though, the SV halibut with hard sear on the top is killer.

• Little Steven
    edited May 2013

Thanks CT that is exactly what I was thinking. Thinking sautéed shallot, sauteed garlic, lemon zest and a pat of butter in the bag. Also, the zip loc bag instead of vac seal?

Terry, No GA this year but maybe Eggtoberfest

Caz, Thanks and that is a great way to do them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy

Thanks CT that is exactly what I was thinking. Thinking sautéed shallot, sauteed garlic, lemon zest and a pat of butter in the bag. Also, the zip loc bag instead of vac seal?

Man, that sounds great! I want to try that. I definitely need to sous vide more!
  • Thanks CT that is exactly what I was thinking. Thinking sautéed shallot, sauteed garlic, lemon zest and a pat of butter in the bag. Also, the zip loc bag instead of vac seal?

either zip lock or stop the vac as soon as it starts to hit the fish. Ours you can just hit "seal only" at any time and it stops the vac and starts the seal. 

• Little Steven
    Thanks again. If I sauté the garlic and shallots you think they won't be overpowering?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I am a big believer in letting the fish speak for itself. None of that added spices. Just a nice lemon olive oil mix and grill.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

When I lived in Alaska and could catch the things, I wrapped in tin foil and filled with goodies.

Goodies headache powder? 8-}
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Well, I got half, maybe three quarters sh!tfaced and didn't get it together in time...my bad

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well, I got half, maybe three quarters sh!tfaced and didn't get it together in time...my bad

As it should be buddy. Hope you had a great day. The halibut can wait.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Proud of you my man. Sleep it off and eat sushi in the morning.