Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for first time out.

Congratulate me - as of Saturday I will be the proud owner of a LBGE without a clue what I'm doing.  :-)

I have read that you should do some low and slow to season the gaskets.  If this is true, what are some suggestions for a low and slow to start out with.  I have a couple of beef roasts as well as some venison roasts I've been saving for the egg but really don't want to waste them on a first time attempt.  

Would I be able to simply run the grill for a bit low and slow to play around with temp and then cook something a bit quicker later?  

Also, any other suggestions are always welcome.  Been lurking here and reading for a couple of months while I saved up for the egg.

Charlie

Comments

• CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177
    About forgot, is the hardcover Big Green Egg book worth getting?
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Start with a spatchcock chicken, partly because it seems like its tradition around here, partly because its almost impossible to screw up, cheap, and will give you some experience with temp control while keeping the temps reasonable (350-400) during the cook
    Pentwater, MI
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Oh, and welcome to the family :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Do something easy like burgers or chicken, something you know.
    Yes you can simply light her up and play with the temp controls to get started.
    What did you buy with your egg? Did you get the Plate Setter?
    Do you have a Thermapen? Do you have a large bottle of bourbon?
    Just have fun and keep us posted. Holler if you need help. ENJOY!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Congratulations on your egg.  Your gonna love it.  Do something relatively inexpensive like a spatchcock chicken, chicken breasts or maybe just some good ole burgers..  You're right about saving your roasts until you've had a cook or two under your belt.  Good Luck. 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

Welcome, I am not a big fan of that book - but others like it.  I would suggest others like smoke and spice

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2013
    I am with chicken or burgers both are easy cooks. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You won't waste anything your first attempt. The egg comes up to temp quite quickly but takes a long time to cool. Light the egg and leave the dome open for 10 minutes or so, close the dome and set the "daisy" with about 1/4 of the "petals" open. Leave the bottom vent open about the width of a quarter. Have a cold drink. You should see the temp come up to 200* plus/minus in about 15 minutes. When it gets settled in at that temp and holds for a while longer, you can start to open the vents just a bit more. Wait for a few cold drinks worth of time to see the full effect. Always let the grey/white smoke clear before you put food on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CharlieTN
    Don't have the Egg yet. Will be picking it up on Saturday.  The plan is to get the LBGE, plate setter,  V-rack (I'm all about the pulled pork and ribs) and probably the pizza stone as I've read that the pampered chef one we have will break.

Thermometers will have to come soon, we'll see how the budget holds out on Saturday and might get one then.

Thanks for all of the tips.  Might have to sling some burgers to start out.  I don't have tons of time in between some different meetings I have to go to but you better believe I'm going to fire it up and roast some sort of flesh on it.

Charlie
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Welcome!!!  I have the book and it has a few good recipes.  There are a ton of books out there that are better.  You can search for threads that refer to everyone's favorites.  Where are you located?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• CharlieTN
    I am in Cleveland, TN, near Chattanooga.  

Picking the grill up from Bargain Barn in Jasper, GA.  Can't wait.  Our deck is being rebuilt this week so figured it was time to go serious on the grill.  

• CharlieTN said:
    I'll answer this first- NO.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN said:
    I'll answer this first- NO.
    Works for me. With the price they charge for it, that's a decent chunk of meat to put on the grill instead.  

• and welcome. You are going to love it. All good advice above. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Welcome aboard! Anything you cook for your first time will be the best you've ever had. Mine was burgers. Have fun.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Charlie, go big man!  You got the egg for pulled pork and ribs.  I say swing for the fences :)  

There is a simple turbo butt method that will amaze you.  

Have fun!  

This forum is better than any book.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    welcome aboard,  I say spatchcock chicken its easy fun and good. just ask or look around you can find awsome recipes here.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Skip the book if you have any BBQ experience at all. I got it thinking it would give me tips about settings, but it really is just a BBQ book and not really Egg specific. I returned mine. Other books out there beat it by a mile, and any questions you have about direct/indirect and methods will be answered here.  

And I wouldn't necessarily do burgers. I found burgers a bit tricky, for some reason. Get a steak and just cook it at 400* (you can try the various methods later). Or if you can get good sausages, try that. I also would recommend a spatch chicken. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, I'm gonna go off script, and recommend a pork loin. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Have a cold drink........................................Always let the grey/white smoke clear before you put food on.
    Two most important things. Third is buy a camera. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    I would say pork loin, but I always spell it lion, and lion is real hard to cook.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    tazcrash said:
    OK, I'm gonna go off script, and recommend a pork loin. 
    +1

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    shtgunal3 said:

Welcome aboard! Anything you cook for your first time will be the best you've ever had. Mine was burgers. Have fun.

Did he lose his virginity as well?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Little steven said to let the smoke clear while you have two drinks.... It takes longer than 3 minutes. He's Canadian..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Oh, welcome. If you just try to keep up with the ideas and recipes here you will not need a book.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    CharlieTN said:
    Don't have the Egg yet. Will be picking it up on Saturday.  The plan is to get the LBGE, plate setter,  V-rack (I'm all about the pulled pork and ribs) and probably the pizza stone as I've read that the pampered chef one we have will break.

Thermometers will have to come soon, we'll see how the budget holds out on Saturday and might get one then.

Thanks for all of the tips.  Might have to sling some burgers to start out.  I don't have tons of time in between some different meetings I have to go to but you better believe I'm going to fire it up and roast some sort of flesh on it.

Charlie

I've done a ton of pizza using the Pampered Chef stone over the last two years and it is still going strong. I'd take what I was going to spend on the book and the pizza stone and put it towards a thermopen. Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.
    Alton Posts: 509
    Welcome!!!! Forget the book and just hang out here ....these guys are way more creative and helpful.... Just one tip, Cook To Internal Temp, not time....Have Fun and ENJOY
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606

No one has mentioned , before you start be sure your thermometer is in calibration. Easy to do ,just boil some water,stick probe in the boiling water, should read 212F/100c , if not turn the nut on the back to adjust.

First cook on mine I went with ribs, baby backs. Pull the membrane(silver skin) from the inside,coat with yellow mustard(or not), rub with favorite rub,throw in new rib rack,dome temp 250 - 275f,close lid and don't open for about 4 to 4.5 hrs, check for doneness with a toothpick, if it slides right throug your good. Enjoy 1

Forgot to add , when you start your fire add 3 or 4 chunks of smoking wood, I use apple for ribs.

Ova B.
    Fulton MO