Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ joint in Atlanta?

Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum

Hey ATL eggers, I will be visiting Atlanta and staying there over a weekend and would like to try some of your best.

What would you suggest. For that matter any other memorable places to eat as well, different kinds of food.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    two really good places. 

the best in the ATL is Fox Bros hands down. try the beef short ribs. 

the other is relatively new and on the north side of the city. Heirloom BBQ and it is excellent. 

both were recently named to the top 50 dinning guide in atl.

if you want to try some pizza. go to Antico. this is the pizza i strive to make on the egg but can not come close.  

• brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    If you're in it for a fun experience and you're on the north side of town (Roswell), there's a place called Swallow in the Hollow.  Get there early on a Saturday night to ensure you get seats for some great BBQ and live music - music usually starts at 10 and goes into the late hours of the night.  I haven't been there for a number of years, but still hear great things about it.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2013
    My house but unfortunately its not open to the public  :))
    Any of the Buckhead Life Restaurants are excellent choices, not cheap though.
    http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/

Some of my friends swear by Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell, GA. for BBQ

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    Just noticed you didn't ask specifically for BBQ.  If you're in the mood for one of the best steaks in Atlanta, Rathbun's Steak will not let you down.  He even uses a BGE for at least one of his appetizers - Waygu beef short ribs.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Swallow at the hollow is really good.  To be honest I haven't eaten at too many of the BBQ joints downtown, but I have always heard this place ranks high:

If you are feeling adventurous you could check out the vortex in little five points or midtown. 

They have some insane burgers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Fox Bros....best in town...
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Swallow at the hollow is really good.  To be honest I haven't eaten at too many of the BBQ joints downtown, but I have always heard this place ranks high:

If you are feeling adventurous you could check out the vortex in little five points or midtown. 

They have some insane burgers. 

+1 yum
    Woodstock, GA
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Fox Bros is the best. But if you are interested in a "Live at the Bluebird Cafe" type of experience, Swallow at the Hollow is the place to go on a Saturday night. Fabulous ribs and live music - singer/songwriter sorta thing. Bluebird Cafe has broadcast from there a few times back in the day...
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    When ever we go to Atlanta area to see my brother-in-law we always go to Patak meats in Austell. They have every kind of smoked meat you can dream of. We always come home with fresh Hungarian kielbasa and their bacon is GREAT. I wish we lived closer as I could eat their smoked meats every night. Don't let the size of the shop on the outside fool you, it is huge inside. Not sure how far it is from where you are staying but it will be worth the drive. I would love to leave maryland and drive down for some tomorrow but have to go to work. Here is a link to the place. Also don't blink or you may drive past it.

http://www.patakmeats.com/Patak_Meats/Welcome.html
  • Firemanyz
    Also forgot to tell you I think their meats are cheep. Here is the price list from their website.

http://www.patakmeats.com/Patak_Meats/Price_List.html

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Patak is open daily til 6p (I believe), but only open the 1st Saturday of each month... closed Sunday. The Dekalb Farmer's Market carries Patak at the same price... highly recommend their bratwurst!
  • I miss Patak. We lived in Dallas, GA for 2 years. 

Holeman and Finch has an amazing cheeseburger. They aren't on the menu and only make 24 per night at 10pm. You have to get there around 8:30-9:00 to reserve the burger. I don't know how they make it so good, but I have heard they cook the patties in duck fat.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Wow. Thanks, guys. Keep it alive. My ETA is around the 18th. So have to have a game plan by then. I think Fox is in for the first night, based on reviews. Busy during the day, but evenings are free.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• While on a business trip and stumbled on One Star Ranch in the Buckhead area.  It's a funky place but I enjoyed best beef ribs I've ever have had.  The owner talked me out of his pork spares.  He brought out both pork and beef ribs and I've been looking for these dino bones to cook on my egg ever since.  http://www.onestarranch.com/index.php  Safe travels and enjoy the BBQ
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

Not sure how I never made it to Patak before but went at lunch today and what a cool place. Good prices and so many choices. I got 4 pounds of Andouille, 4 pounds of beef franks, 4 pounds of hot sausage, 2 pounds of country sausage, and 2 pounds of their smokies sausage and the total was $51. Thanks for the tip.

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    I would also try The Vortex. The best hamburger you will put in your mouth!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Firemanyz
    Next time you are there try the pastrami. I had it last time I was down and I think I could eat 2 lbs in a flash it so good. Also it's pretty cool how they have all the smoked meats hanging. I would also try there bacon it has a very different smoke taste to it. I love it. We had some kielbasa for dinner tonight. Enjoy all the goodies you got.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Fox brothers is number one IMHO however DBA BBQ in Virginia highlands is close. On Sundays they serve smoked fried chicken. May sound weird but man is it tasty!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    Williamson Brothers in Marietta is pretty damn good. I need to try Fox Bros and DBA. As to the Holman and Finch burger, you can get it anytime here in New Orleans at Company Burger if ever in town. (chef who created it is a friend of mine, he came back home after Holman & Finch to open his own place here)
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • We have so many old BBQ places around ATL. Harold's BBQ is close to the Federal Prison. They have cracklin cornbread. Around here there are lots of good BBQ joints. Brunswick stew is what sets a good BBQ restraunt apart from a great one. I flew into KC about 25 years ago. We went to eat some BBQ. I thought EVERBODY served Brunswick stew. I was very disappointed. It's just not the same with out it. Fresh Air bbq in Jackson (40 miles south of ATL) is also a good all around. Good slaw, stew and pork. I'm half a century myself. My grandparents ate at Fresh Air when they were young. By the way, they have a massive chopping block that is about 25% chopped away. I would love to own it. How many thousands of pounds of meat have been chopped there... . I agree with other post. Fox is hard to beat. Just other options.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2013

...Fresh Air bbq in Jackson (40 miles south of ATL) is also a good all around. Good slaw, stew and pork. I'm half a century myself. My grandparents ate at Fresh Air when they were young...
    This is one of my favorite places.  My in-laws are from Jackson and they introduced me to it.  They bring me a gallon of the sauce every so often that we keep in the fridge.  It is a 75 year old recipe...it's just vinegar ketchup...but there is something about it that is just perfect. 

I was checking out Harlold's, but sounds like it closed:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt, you are right, Harold's did close. They opened a satilite store in McDonough, so I had not made the drive to the ATL in awhile. I thought just the McDonough store had closed. Great BBQ, but a rough neighborhood.