Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winterizing and keeping moisture out

Options
I am a new egghead and I have a large Egg with a long Egg table and the Big Green Egg table cover. When I uncovered my Egg and went to use it for the first time this spring, it had quite a bit of moisture clinging to the top of the egg. The metal parts (including the dual-function metal top) were rusted and I was afraid to use the egg because I didn't want it to crack. The metal cooking grid even had some mold growing on it. I washed the cooking components thoroughly and used it. I didn't have any issues when I used it that time, but after not using it for a couple of weeks, I am still having the same issue whenever I uncover it. Is there any way to "winterize" it when I am not going to use it for a while? Since the dual-function metal top is cast iron, I seasoned it in hopes that this will help that part, but I can't figure out how to keep the moisture out and stop mold from growing. Am I the only one having this problem? Someone, please help!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    havent found anything that works well here, egg is always wet in maine. i try to plan on having a minimal amount of lump in there when i leave for the week and plan on having to light it up and run an hour or two when i get back. theres no need to wash the grates, light it and get it hot and brush them down if you have to, the mold will be gone. after a winter of not using it it takes several hours at temp before the moisture is gone

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • malitard
    malitard Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks Nick! I will give it a try. I usually store it with the green ceramic top, but put the metal top under the cover on the shelf of the table. Hopefully the seasoning will keep it rust-free. 
  • malitard
    Options
    Fishless,

You have never had an issue with the moisture cracking the ceramic? I had heard that getting it wet was the worst thing you could do to the Egg. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Mine have been outside through Canadian winters for up to 14 years, no cover, no ceramic top...no problems. I do have some spawling on one egg but that was a bad run at manufacture.

photo Caledon-20130208-00082.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options
    ive had one where half the ceramic lifted off from wet freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze thru a winter but i believe that doesnt happen often, i have only seen a couple tthreads of that over the last 10 or so years. i have only had one egg do that since 2002 out of 3 eggs and it was the newest egg and my eggs have never been covered with anything except snow. the egg that was in question was covered under warrranty. what usually happens is that they just ooze for a cook or two and you have to clean the exterior
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    heres cooking

heres my egg in maine under a snow banking

fukahwee maine

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    Options
    for the metal top spray with oil, and then store the daisy wheel IN the egg. Like seasoning it every time.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • malitard
    Options
    Tazcrash,

Could you be more specific? 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Just edited original post to clarify. 
    After you cook. coat the metal top with a very light coat of oil (pam spray works), and then store it in your egg as it cools down. 
    BTW, don't put it in if the egg is very hot. It will remove the seasoning. I put mine in at about 300.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    Options
    tazcrash said:
    BTW, don't put it in if the egg is very hot. It will remove the seasoning. I put mine in at about 300.

Thanks for this tidbit tazcrash!  I have sprayed occasionally with oil and put in, but always right after I am done cooking, guess that explains why it still looks terrible.