Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Payin' respects to a ledgendary "BBQ Joint" on my way thru Central Texas.....

Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum

Usually by the time you get here...they're all out....!!

Truly...there's smoke on the walls of their pitts older than I am!! 

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I have made that trip many times. I have been accused of leaving Austin or Houston just in time to be at CMM for an early lunch. But that's just a rumor.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    It's worth the trip.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubby
    egger ave said:
    I have made that trip many times. I have been accused of leaving Austin or Houston just in time to be at CMM for an early lunch. But that's just a rumor.

The fact that some would sully your  good name and reputation with those kind of (true) accusations...

Shameless...I say...Shameless!!  

:-O
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    I will be in Round Rock next week heading to College Station. Worth the diversion? Better than Franklin? Both run out of Que early, right? 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • egger ave
    I will be in Round Rock next week heading to College Station. Worth the diversion? Better than Franklin? Both run out of Que early, righI

I would check out Snows in Lexington

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Snows only open on Saturdays. Where is this City Meat Market?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Luling.

I'm going to try and stop there when we head down Memorial Day weekend, but since I'm picking up Mrs. G at Love Field in Dallas at 3 and driving straight on, I'm sure they won't have any food left.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• egger ave
    GQuiz said:
    Snows only open on Saturdays. Where is this City Meat Market?
    http://citymeatmarket.biz/

Albert Einstein
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I recommend you stop by Mueller's and get the original recipe :)

Here's an interesting bit of recent BBQ lore in town.  I think it 'shorts' Aaron a little - he wasn't *just* a cashier.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • North_Is_Up
    Thanks. Mueller's is definitely on the way. This California-based egger is going to have some fun this week in Texas.
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • City meat market is in giddings. City market (the good one) is in Lulling. CMM is good too but City Market in Lulling is the famous one
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Giddings is on hwy 290 between Houston/austin
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

What's good at CMM? Interested to know since I passed it a few times to Snow's but didn't know there's a good Q there.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• If you are passing it on the way to snow's, don't stop. Brisket, sausage are good but no comparison. A lot of people mistake it for City Market in Lulling but that's down by Lockhart. City Market is top 5 in TX. CMM is good but not in the class of the big boys.
  • Chubby

Sure enough...sometimes it's, (if you get there in time...lol!!)  better than others!!  

I'd also agree.... if you're into "rankings"...then there's definitely better at other stops in the BBQ Triangle.

That said...One of the cool things about "Texas BBQ"...is it's history and tradition!! 

Every time I can...I like to stop and pay my respects, soak in a little local flavor...and tip my hat if you will!!

We're lucky to have so many places to do just that...(as long as you get there in time).,..lol!!!!

Evans

• North_Is_Up
    Again, I'm coming in from Northern California. Spending one night in Austin. A few hours in Round Rock the next day and then on to College Station, where my wife is from, for a few days. 

I am aware that any Texas BBQ is going to be better than the boiled ribs that I get around here. I do not mind driving say 50 miles out of the way for some great Que. And, I am going to be around for quite a few meals next week.

When I went to Maine a few years ago, it was a lobster-fest for me. When in Texas, I'm doing steaks and BBQ only. Thanks for the great ideas.

XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Thanks @centex. Will have to try sometime. Looking forward to the TM list this month. More places to explore. I'm still a Smitty's and Buzzie's guy.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Chubby
    edited May 2013

Since you're limited in time...pound for pound, there's more good Q (and tradition) in the city of Lockhart ...than most anywhere else in TX!

Not a bad drive from the Austin area either!

Enjoy your stay!

We're headed for our yearly pilgrimage (back) to Northern California in the near future!!

Cant wait...!!

• In Austin you could just do Franklin's, J. mueller, LA Barbecue (the old J. Mueller's with Franklin's pitmaster), and Salt Lick in Round Rock. You will not go away hungry or unhappy at any. If you go to Lockhart do yourself a favor and drive 14 miles further to Lulling and do City market too. From Round Rock, you are 30 minutes from Louie Mueller's in Taylor and 45 from Snow's in Lexington. Snow's is only open Saturdays from 8 unitl they run out of meat. Currently #1 on TX Monthly BBQ ranking in TX. You can get every bit as good at Franklin, LA barbecue, or J. Mueller's in Austin though.
  • Chubby
    edited May 2013

@ Cen-Tex....

Tell me, Is it just me...or is Elgin Smokehouse (in spite of the hordes of cars there on Sundays)...pretty mediocre Q? After a couple tries...I just don't get the attraction!

I've tried to "talk myself into it" a couple of times after getting to Taylor late, and missing out...but I just give up!

Am I alone here?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    For the experience, I like going to the original Salt Lick in Driftwood.  It's remarkable to see multple acres of cars parked in the middle of nowhere and all those people just enjoying the vibe as they hang out and wait for their table.  The wine and beer shack next door comes in pretty handy and makes the wait much more enjoyable.  They sell some wines from Driftwood Vineyards which are pretty good.  If they have the Longhorn Red just get it.  Trust me.  At a huge wine-tasting event in the Alamodome with great wines from all over the world, several of us agreed that it was the best wine we tasted that evening.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubby said:

@ Cen-Tex....

Tell me, Is it just me...or is Elgin Smokehouse (in spite of the hordes of cars there on Sundays)...pretty mediocre Q? After a couple tries...I just don't get the attraction!

I've tried to "talk myself into it" a couple of times after getting to Taylor late, and missing out...but I just give up!

Am I alone here?

it's garbage cooked in gas ovens and slopped onto plates. I darkened the door 1 time. Junk

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Elgin used to be good...but now I would not waste my time or money.. Weekdays mueller's in Taylor, city market giddings, city market in lulling, Snow's on a Saturday morning, just not during football season and certain cuts at Blacks (when the beef rib is cooked right it pretty good eats).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • North_Is_Up
    So many choices. This is great. I'll report back when I've returned to my BBQ-deprived home town.
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • North_Is_Up
    The Cen-Tex Smoker: I think that your idea about Taylor is spot on. It's on the way to College Station, our final destination. 
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    Northern CA
  • Chubby
    edited May 2013

@ North_Is_Up

I assume you're stopping @ Mueller's in Taylor!

I'd call ahead...and see what time they're usually running out of whatever you're going for, so you're there while there is still some "there" there....(he says..."speaking from experience")...lol!!

During the week they're open till 6...but I'd be there well...well ahead of that...!!

(512) 352-6206

It's a real slice of Texas "Americana"...for sure!

• egger ave
    Mr. Nobama is visiting Applied Materials using the new toll road. Traffic will be screwed up for hours if it's like his last visit. I am planning on staying far away from the east side of Austin and the airport Thursday. I would go take 79 in Round Rock to Taylor. The toll road is usually faster than I-35. Don't know if will be true on Thursday.

Albert Einstein
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker: I think that your idea about Taylor is spot on. It's on the way to College Station, our final destination. 
    You might want to bring a ventilator. They just let the smoke pour out into the restaurant and it's about 100 years old. All the business cards on the wall are browned out from the smoke. Good times though, even if you do smoke the equivalent of a pack of Marlboro Reds while waiting in line. 

Not my fave but certainly in the Pantheon of accepted Texas greats. I actually like Salt Lick in Round Rock better but their brisket sucks. I judge all greats by their brisket (and all Tex Mex joints by their salsa) and Louie's brisket is way better than Salt Lick. It's not even in the same class so i would go there if you are choosing 1 spot. If you are going to be coming back through or feeling froggy on Saturday morning, hit up snow's in lexington. Get there early, they sell out of brisket before noon. It's worth the hour drive from CS and it's kind of on the way home if you are coming back on Saturday. 

Or if you are really mad at it, take the scenic route and go down to Lockhart/Lulling on your way back. 

Have fun and don't be scared to stop in a tex-mex greasy spoon on your travels. You may very well be rewarded with an awesome meal (or extreme gastro-intestinal distress- it's kind of a crap shoot- probably could have picked a better word for that- oh well, just do it). Just go Tex-Mex enchiladas (cheese with chili con carne on top), rice and beans and you can't miss.

• BTW- "Louie's" is Louie Mueller's in Taylor. Didn't mean to throw you off there. 
  • egger ave
    " I actually like Salt Lick in Round Rock better but their brisket sucks. "

Agreed, not worth the $$. Their ribs are OK.  Johnny-T's on RR 620 in Round Rock has better brisket.

Albert Einstein