Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Downtown San Antonio BBQ Joint?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I will be there for a few days staying near the Riverwalk.  I won't have a vehicle so I am looking for a BBQ joint that would be worth walking to.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Downtown...man there is nothing there that I can give you my seal of approval based on 1st hand experience.

The best I could come up with is Augies Barbed Wire Smokehouse and The Smokehouse, but I have no clue if they're any good.

How long of a lunch do you have and what days are you going to be in town?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    You can walk up the riverwalk to the pearl (or take a river taxi). There is a place called the granary. Really tasty! They have a egg in their kitchen and they make their own beer. http://thegranarysa.com/ Their beef clod is awesome! There is also the Q in the Hyatt which is right on the river. I have never been so I can vouch for it. http://hyatt.com/gallery/qriverwalk/
  • cazzy
    krames said:
    You can walk up the riverwalk to the pearl (or take a river taxi). There is a place called the granary. Really tasty! They have a egg in their kitchen and they make their own beer. http://thegranarysa.com/ Their beef clod is awesome! There is also the Q in the Hyatt which is right on the river. I have never been so I can vouch for it. http://hyatt.com/gallery/qriverwalk/
    Good call...I forgot Pearl Brewery has some good spots.  Shoot, i'm gonna have to check that spot out. 
  • cazzy
    My favorite spot is Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo.  Off the chain.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    double post.
  • QDude
    cazzy said:
    Downtown...man there is nothing there that I can give you my seal of approval based on 1st hand experience.

The best I could come up with is Augies Barbed Wire Smokehouse and The Smokehouse, but I have no clue if they're any good.

How long of a lunch do you have and what days are you going to be in town?
    I am going to be there Sunday May the 12th thru the 14th.  I think I will be looking for some place for supper because I will only have an hour at lunch.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• cazzy

Basic question.  Why in the world would you be looking for BBQ in San Antonio?  Go for Tex-Mex. The obvious place is Mi Tierra's in Market Square, but I like Pico de Gallos at 111 South Leona Street.

100% agree VI, Pico de Gallos is way better!!

• QDude
    Basic question.  Why in the world would you be looking for BBQ in San Antonio?  Go for Tex-Mex. The obvious place is Mi Tierra's in Market Square, but I like Pico de Gallos at 111 South Leona Street.
    Well, it is Texas, and I was hoping there might be decent Q there.  Thanks for the advice about the Tex Mex.  I was going to do that also.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• cazzy
    I'll see what my schedule looks like and maybe we can hit up Harmon's when you're in town.
  • QDude
    cazzy said:
    I'll see what my schedule looks like and maybe we can hit up Harmon's when you're in town.
    That would be great.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I've been hearing good things about the granary. If you get there, let us know if it's good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

+1 on The Granary (per reports of some of my more discriminating Q loving friends), but the regular Q is only for lunch.  For dinner they serve gourmet fusion Q - brisket raman, smoked chicken with curry consumme, stuff like that. 

My favorite place on the Riverwalk is Boudro's.  It's not surprising that it seems to be the hardest reservation to get on the Riverwalk.  Call them ASAP if you want to eat there at any normal time.  It's not barbecue and it's not Mexican, but it has the best guacamole on the planet and the meat is outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• krames
    @foghorn if you like boudro's check out zinc. It right across from boudro's on the street level. They have my favorite burger in SA and its owned by the same people.
  • krames
    You should hit up esquire for drinks. http://www.esquiretavern-sa.com/
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    It's not Que, but Schilo's deli on Commerce has some great food. Their homemade root beer is the best I've ever had. Also concur on the recommendation for Harmon's in Cibilo. The creamed corn there is awesome too.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    It's been a few years but there is or was a County Line BBQ right on the Riverwalk.  It's usually not the best option for BBQ in Texas but it is still really, really good.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2013
    cazzy said:

100% agree VI, Pico de Gallos is way better!!

Big fan of Alamo Cafe
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    You are walking distance to some of the best Tex-Mex on the planet. I like Mi Tierra.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • cazzy
    ibanda said:
    You are walking distance to some of the best Tex-Mex on the planet. I like Mi Tierra.

Yep...we're known for Mexican food, but there are far better spots than Mi Tierra.  It's more touristy and the food just isn't consistant for my liking.  Cen-Tex went there his last visit and I don't recall him having a great meal.  If you haven't been, Pico de Gallos is much better. 

However, my favorite spot in San Antonio is Taco Taco.  It's incredible and they have some of the best tortillas i've ever had...that wern't made by my mom.  :P

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    ibanda said:
    Pico de Gallos is owned by the same family that owns Mi Tierra.  You will find mostly tourists at Mi Tierra and the locals at Pico de Gallos.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The busy areas of the Riverwalk and close proximity are nice. The County Line would probably be your best bet without your own wheels. It's pretty good. If Mi Tierra or Pico de Gallo for dinner and drinks sounds interesting, take a cab if it's after dark.
    Gittin' there...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I agree with @cazzy. Mi Tierra seemed very touristy. Wasn't impressed with their food. Now the Norteno at Taco Taco was pretty darn tasty.

By all means, skip the County Line on the Riverwalk. Overpirced and not good at all.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    My vote for tex mex would be Rosario's on S. Alamo.  Well worth the walk from the Riverwalk.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    10Driver said:

My vote for tex mex would be Rosario's on S. Alamo.  Well worth the walk from the Riverwalk.

That's a good spot too! Been there a few times and always enjoyed it.

• krames
    edited May 2013
    My favorite Mexican place is La Fonda on main. They have an amazing patio.

• QDude
    Went to Picco de Gallon tonight for dinner. It was awesome! Thanks for the suggestions.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Best q in sa? Think it was Rudy's...best food on the river walk? I'd say biga on the banks and bohanons.