Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday at the Dyal's

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052

Kroger had Boston Butt on sale last Sunday for $1.49 per pound.  That's a steal these days so I picked one up.  Saved it for today and threw her on at around 7 AM this morning.  Lit the egg up with some Applewood and Hickory at around 6:15 AM. 

In the meantime, we whipped up some homemade buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast.  Also brewed a fresh pot of coffee.  If I was on death row, I think I would request Biscuits n' Gravy and Fried Pork Chops as my last meal.  :) 

While the butt was smoking away, I went to Lowes and picked up some paint supplies.  Then came home and forgot about the BGE for several hours.  We then proceeded to move furniture around, spackle, sand, paint, etc without even checking on the egg.  It maintained an ideal temp of 235 deg f until it was ready. 

Served with a nice creamy SC mustard based sauce.  I swear, that's the best thing about the egg -- your day doesn't have to be fixed around stoking, fighting and adjusting your smoker.  Just set it and forget it.  Hassle free and it produces the most delicious food ever.

The living room color turned out great too.  :)

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Well done sir!!! That is a damn fine looking sammie!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Looks great, until you started posting, didn't think the Palmetto state could turn out good BBQ. 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Damn fine eats ya had today. Wish I could have been there to help out... with the eating that is, not the painting! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Hey @Dyal, that looks great(both actually). How'd you prep that pork? It looks fan-freakin'-tastic! Beautiful bark...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    =P~

The butt looks great, but I want the gravy and biscuits!!! When can I come over?!?!? [-O<

XLBGE 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Looks great buddy :)  That sauce looks amazing I do need to pick that up next time I'm in Kroger for myself :)
    Large BGE

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Pork butt is my families favorite.Sounds like a very successful day to me!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    egger ave said:

Looks great, until you started posting, didn't think the Palmetto state could turn out good BBQ. 

Huh? The Carolina's have top notch que!!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @Dyal, looks great as always man.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Of course I read this after I had breakfast… Now I want biscuits and gravy. 

The pork looks awesome I need to try some mustard based sauce sometime. It isn't too common around here in Oklahoma but I would like to give it a shot next time I make pulled pork! 

Great job again! 
    =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Huh? The Carolina's have top notch que!!!
    I spent a lot of my youth in the Charleston area. Had a lot of good pork BBQ. Lots of mustard sauces
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thx a lot, ladies and gents!  @Black_Badger, I trimmed it, injected it with Apple Juice and rubbed it down the night before.  The Apple Juice, IMHO, is not needed.  I've injected one before and came to the same conclusion.  I wanted to try it again for verification purposes....somebody's gotta do it.  ;)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cook Dyal, good thing I don't live closer I might be hanging out in your backyard.  :-h

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    That sure looks great @Dyal_SC. Which rub do you use?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    egger ave said:

The Carolinas turn out the best BBQ, thank you very much! Mustard and vinegar sauce for the win! :D
  • beercuer
    beercuer Posts: 5
    Options
    Is it safe to say you worked your butt off on Saturday, Dyal? ... at least the other one. You sure do know great eats, my friend.  Marvelous cookout!  Biscuits and gravy also look insanely delicious!