Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which maverick device is the best?

Options
Looking for pros and cons on the different maverick devices. This will be my next investment for my egg as I already have a thermapen. Thanks

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Most around these parts roll with the Maverick ET-732. It has great range, pit and meat probe, easy to use, and will run ya about $60.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not needed (IMO). Have both the new one and the one just before it. Don't use them at all anymore. The Thermapen will do it all so I bought a second one.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have a thermapen and the Maverick.  I still use the Maverick for pork butts and brisket.  Keeps me from having to go outside in the winter to check the meat temp and lose the heat that is in the egg.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    ET-732 here. Only use it for low and slows.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    ET-732. Doesn't get a call from the bullpen too often but when it does it is great. Easy to use and makes cooking on the egg even more mindless. You need to take care of the probes though...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    I use the ET-732 for all low and slows. Has never failed me yet.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    ET-732. Doesn't get a call from the bullpen too often but when it does it is great. Easy to use and makes cooking on the egg even more mindless. You need to take care of the probes though...
    I had to designate mine for assignment. It rarely gets called up any more; too inconsistent.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I have the 732 and use it for both low and slow and reverse sears. It's nice to tell what the temp is on a steak so I'm not opening it ever 15 minutes. Once it's close then I'll check with Thermapen, pull and rest while I crank the egg up for the sear.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    732 for me. ony for low and slow. but like most others here. when it gets close....out comes the thermapen.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For all indirects - except pizza, the ET732. I set it up 90% with the pit probe only. I use the count down timer set for 8 minutes with my electric starter, otherwise I'd forget the darn thing. 
    As soon as the fire is going, I load my set-up, dial in the vents to expected and set the low and high pit alarms. 
    Within 30-40 minutes or so the VOCs are gone and the target high temp is reached. Fine tune it and the cook begins. More for peace of mind. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Second time my Maverick's probes failed, i gave up on it.  Only thing i need is the DigiQ and Therapen.  Turbo cooking butts is so predictable, i don't have to check.  When i go out to take it off it's within a beer or two of being finished!
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    I have the Marerick 732 and my grate probe failed. I always wrapped the wire and end of probe w tin foil. Never got it wet. Call HQ and she said must of got pinched, wet or to hot. Nope..., did not want to replace it. I used it mostly on whole big chickens. I only used it a half dozen times. Now they will sell me a new probe but it has 6 ft. Cable. Bummed, I had normal use, I think the probes are kinda cheap.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have the 732 and use it on chicken cordon bleu, baked potatoes, spatchcocked and beer can chicken, prime rib, and other roasts.  I use the digiq II for my low and slows.  Both work great but I did have to replace one set of probes for the Maverick because I let them get wet (my bad).

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI