Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Anyone know of a good patio builder in Houston?

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
I want to extend the patio out on  one side of the pool, and was wondering if any eggheads in the Houston area could recommend a builder. Would prefer someone with experience with pools, since the pool plumbing runs under the area I want paved over.

Thanks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013
    Cal,

I had my patio redone when I resurfaced my driveway and sidewalks.  I used Impressions in Concrete and was very pleased with their work.  It's stamped concrete and it looks like stone.

I ran outside and snapped a couple of pictures for you.  Excuse the condition it's in.  I need to wash or pressure spray it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    Thanks, VI.

Your patio looks really nice. I didn't know that you could get that kind of relief in concrete patterns. I was thinking of having a flagstone patio put in over a section of the yard, but stamped concrete would be a great, less expensive option if it can match the stone of the pool deck. I'll give them a call to get a quote, if I settle on stamped concrete ( which I feel I may end up doing once I hear what the price for stone will be). 

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

@ caliking...

I didn't know you were here in Houston! I have been away from the Forum for a while now...so I'm out of the loop as it were..lol!!

Getting ready to design and tackle the same type of project.

Stamped concrete is the way I'm leaning as well....

Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Chubby said:

@ caliking...

I didn't know you were here in Houston! I have been away from the Forum for a while now...so I'm out of the loop as it were..lol!!

Getting ready to design and tackle the same type of project.

Stamped concrete is the way I'm leaning as well....

Evans

Chubby show them your pot in the backyard (not that pot), your big black pot
    :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubby

Mickey!!!!!!!!!

:-o

If I had that  kind of Pot...I wouldn't have had to by the "Certified"...we could have driven off in the Chicken Mobile...lol!!

We sure have enjoyed our Cauldron so far! When we're done it's gonna kind of be a focal point with some nice seating all around over at the end of the back yard.

imageimage
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Cal,

I had my patio redone when I resurfaced my driveway and sidewalks.  I used Impressions in Concrete and was very pleased with their work.  It's stamped concrete and it looks like stone.

I know there are any # of patterns...and stain choices, but in the end...what did you end up

(ball park) paying per sq. ft. for your work?

Evans

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Chubby,

I don't think I could come up with an estimate.  We had our sidewalks and driveway done at the same time, and there was a total bill.  They might have told me at the time, but if I looked up my records, I think it would only show a total of all the work.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    @Chubby: it seems like a number of the usual suspects live in the Houston area. :)

But, wow... I am speechless. ^:)^ Your cauldron is a work of art, and your patio looks spectacular!

I'm all for the savings in cost re: stamped concrete, but my only concern is whether it will come close to matching the existing pool deck. I guess there may be a better chance of matching the concrete to the stone on the pool deck, since  the tint/color can be played around with. I'll start working on getting quotes for both stone and concrete and see. 

What factors played into your decision to pick stamped concrete (besides cost)? I am just starting to research this, so I'm interested in what your thought process has been. The area I want to cover is about 350 sq ft. 
    Will have to put a root barrier around one tree (the one on the right), reroute some sprinklers, not jack up the pool plumbing, and put in a few electrical outlets for starters. I don't think I need a cover, since the area is on the east side of the yard and is naturally shaded. May end up egging in the rain a few times, but that will be worth it if this project comes to fruition. 

• Chubby

I wish...lol!!! That is my Cauldron...but that's not my Patio!

Looking to do an outdoor kitchen this year... and incorporate it in the plan as well!

Going to do something along similar lines as in the pic...though my setting is not in  the mountains of Utah!!

I suppose...we just have to all make doooo!!

;)
  • Chubby

Would love to chat with you...but that is waaaay tooo much typing for me!

Feel free if you want to ring me @ 281-894-4471 and we can hash it out!

Nice yard ...indeed!!

• caliking
    Ha ha! I'm still mightily impressed even if you don't hang out by your fire in Utah.

I'll give you a call sometime. Thanks.