Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Bacon

16 pounds of pork loin, brined since last Tuesday according to the Ruhlman charcuterie recipe.

About 12 hours uncovered in the fridge, then on the hickory smoke for 3 hours.  The XL held steady at 190 the whole time.

Very dense, pink, and slightly salty, just like it is supposed to be.  Last batch was little too pork roast.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Well done Doc. Think I will give it shot soon
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I gotta try that stuff!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great Doc. Very nicely done.
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Doc I have the same meat slicer.  How do you like it?  Pork looks good by the way, I need to try that one.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Awesome! That is on the soon to be done list! I am impressed at 190 steady. I have a hard time getting below about 215.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Doc, looks great. Ill take one of those zip locks please. I have sent you one UPS shipping label to cover the s/h, and have forwarded an email attesting to the fact that I have won 50 Million US dollars in cash held for me to claim, in Nigeria. That ought to cover it. Right?

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Rzeancak said:
    Doc I have the same meat slicer.  How do you like it?  Pork looks good by the way, I need to try that one.
    I inherited that from my folks when they passed away.  It works OK for our limited use.  I stripped it down before this cook and ran the blade against a sharpening stone, and it cut much better than the last time.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    This is a keeper!  Bookmark applied!  Thanks Doc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Impressive for sure. Did you smoke at 190°F dome temp or grid temp?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm always impressed by the meat smoking and slicing guys! Something I wanna play with one day. The wife have me "the look" when I brought up a meat slicer.

Great looking meat doc!

XLBGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    caliking said:
    Impressive for sure. Did you smoke at 190°F dome temp or grid temp?
    Especially for low and slow I monitor both dome and grid (and meat).  That was an off the top of my head average, tat the beginning he grid temp was running 180's, the dome was running about 20 degrees higher, eventually they got more synchronized within about 5 degrees and held very steady right at 190.

• Doc_Eggerton
    May 5th to July 13th, taken out of the freezer, fried and sandwhiched.   Marty's Big Bun, Miracle Whip, sauteed onion (under the bacon), Romain lettuce and tomato.  Nice quick pick up meal. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Today's lunch.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Ongoing saga of this Canadian Bacon smoke.  Omelet with onion, bacon and goat cheese.  Ooo, this was a nice easy to eat dinner.