Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An HEB Cinco. Sorry incomplete pics

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Well we were supposed to go to family for celebrating Cinco, but when the kids got sick, plans changed... Run to HEB, get tortillas, some small sweet peppers, pre-marinated skirt steak, and boneless chicken thighs, sweet onions, new CI pan to cook the onions in (stupid movers lost that too!) and of course Mojito mix..... ???? well SWMBO'd wanted mojitos made with the mint from her garden, who am I to argue? 

We also made Broccoli slaw as per a receipe we had at the texas eggfest. I'm not sure what that had to do with Cinco de Mayo either. 
OK, it was just a a Sunday dinner. 

The Mrs, cooked up the onions in a hastily treated new 12" Lodge CI pan (we had bacon with breakfast) inside, while I had the peppers grilling, then the meat. Peppers HAD to be cooked separate due to a guest's concern.

One thing I will say is that I am NOT a fan of Stubbs lump. That thing was like the 4th of July when I turned up the heat in the egg. 

Sorry, this is all I have with the pics. impatient guests prevented some plating pics. I really wish I had some of the onions. SWMBO did a fantastic job with them.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Man the meat looks excellent. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not half bad my friend. Looks good from here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tazcrash
    Options
    It was good. I wish I had the finished pics to prove that. 
    But I did have a really good lunch. 
    Oh, almost forgot also had a couple cans of HEB Charro beans. Funny that we never had them up north, but they sure do work.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    What a save, and an excellent one at that! Good for you for going all out to see that family and guests had a good meal at your house. Do you have a recipe for the broccoli slaw?

I was initially a fan of Stubbs lump, mostly because the price was great. But that sh!t pops like you're getting shot at by gangbangers! I loaded up with several bags some months ago, then returned it all to Costco last week. I didn't care for the aroma/smell too much either. It seemed like much of it had not carbonized properly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks good so far...I'm sure the finished product turned out great!  At least you got some pics.  I did a similar cook with skirt steak, shrimp, veggies but I didn't get a single pic.  I was holding an umbrella in one hand and tongs in the other :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    Options
    The broccoli slaw recipe is a secret according to SWMBOd. But...
    Dole sells shredded broccoli , we added broccoli florets, sunflower seeds, golden raisins and mayo and white vinegar, salt and pepper.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!!