Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Lump in Columbus Ohio

It seems like the two options I have for lump are Cowboy and BGE.  Does anyone know where I can find something different.  I travel all throughout the state for work so any suggestion is greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Look up Gordon Food Services or GFS.com.  They sell a self branded Royal Oak made lump for $13.99 per 20 lb bag.  I have been using it for almost 2 years and it works pretty good, my neighbor Nibblemethis also uses same.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Try going to the new Cabels'a store.  They had Humprey's lump and even had some in the bargain cave when I was there a few weeks ago.  I was only visiting and didn't buy any and have never used it so I can't say if its any good or not, but it was there.  They also had just about any flavor wood chips/chunks you might want.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955

No Wally Worlds there?

Royal Oak,,,,6.38 per bag.

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Try going to the new Cabels'a store.  They had Humprey's lump and even had some in the bargain cave when I was there a few weeks ago.  I was only visiting and didn't buy any and have never used it so I can't say if its any good or not, but it was there.  They also had just about any flavor wood chips/chunks you might want.
    Another good reason to stop at Cabela's.  Thanks!
  • Mauch5
    Chubby said:

No Wally Worlds there?

Thanks Chubby.  I totally forgot about Wally. 
    Chubby said:

No Wally Worlds there?

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    in a town that size, you should be able to buy about anything i'd suppose. 

XLBGE 
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    I live up by Cleveland and my Walmart rarely has lump (only briquets).  Restaurant Depot (if you know someone) does sell Royal Oak cheap.  I've been using Cleveland Charcoal Company lump with good success.  good luck 
  • Mauch5
    in a town that size, you should be able to buy about anything i'd suppose. 

I thought so too but it is actually tough to find variety.  I tried my local Ace Hardware but they said they couldn't could only get Cowboy.   
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Mauch5 -check out the Wicked Good website for area distributors.  I found one about 25 miles from me and the store also handled Ozark Oak-double bonus.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There's a guy on the forum that helps members get oo at a great price... Probably wouldn't help a buckeye fan. Although he might trade some for a tattoo.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mauch5
    henapple said:
    There's a guy on the forum that helps members get oo at a great price... Probably wouldn't help a buckeye fan. Although he might trade some for a tattoo.
    Haha, good one Hennaple.  I am not a wacko Buckeye fan, there are plenty of others in town take care of that for me. 
  • henapple
    I'll be in Mansfield soon. Might have a few bags of Ozark.
  • Mauch5
    henapple said:
    I'll be in Mansfield soon. Might have a few bags of Ozark.

I would definitely be interested.  Let me know.  Thanks!
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28

GFS is a good source.  The Wal-Mart in Lewis Center is hit or miss for Royal Oak, not sure about the other wally worlds in town.  Straders Garden centers carry Wicked Good (or at least they did last year) and watch Giant Eagle for Best of the West.  Hamilton Parker (Delaware and Columbus stores) sell the Big Green Egg brand.

Okay, apparently it seems I have a small lump charcoal stalking problem.

• Mauch5
    ohiolion said:

GFS is a good source.  The Wal-Mart in Lewis Center is hit or miss for Royal Oak, not sure about the other wally worlds in town.  Straders Garden centers carry Wicked Good (or at least they did last year) and watch Giant Eagle for Best of the West.  Hamilton Parker (Delaware and Columbus stores) sell the Big Green Egg brand.

Okay, apparently it seems I have a small lump charcoal stalking problem.

I checked Strader's and they don't have Wicked Good.  Not sure they are going to get it this year. 
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    Mauch 5- Not to go off topic on you, but what is this Ozark Oak lump?  Guess I have not been paying attention.
  • Mauch5
    ohiolion said:
    Mauch 5- Not to go off topic on you, but what is this Ozark Oak lump?  Guess I have not been paying attention.

I haven't tried it.  It is supposed to be pretty good stuff by all accounts.  I will let you know if I get my hands on some. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    If you guys are that hard up for good charcoal, I can see what is is to ship a few pallets of ours out there. That's only 400 miles, so I cant see it being over $250 to ship 100 or so bags. You would be getting it wholesale with no sales tax, so it might not be that much over what you are already paying at a specialty retail. Send me an email if you want me to look into it further.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Mauch5, if you join KCBS (Kansas City Barbecue Society) for $35/year, you can get free day passes to Restaurant Depot (you have to pay cash with a day pass). I bought Royal Oak lump at the Cincy Restaurant Depot this weekend for $8.99 for 17.63 lb bags. (They also had Pork Butt for $1.25/lb) If you make it to Cincy and want to see what the place looks like before spending the $ to join KCBS, drop me a PM and I will meet you there so you can walk through. Happy Egging
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • henapple

If you guys are that hard up for good charcoal, I can see what is is to ship a few pallets of ours out there. That's only 400 miles, so I cant see it being over $250 to ship 100 or so bags. You would be getting it wholesale with no sales tax, so it might not be that much over what you are already paying at a specialty retail. Send me an email if you want me to look into it further.

Where are you located?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    henapple said:
    Where are you located?

St. Louis, MO.

I can get Ozark Oak, I talk with them every once in a while just to keep in touch.  I've looked into in the past for the vendors that want 10 lbs bags--I only sell 20's right now.  If there's enough interest, I'll probably just produce the 10's in our label.  Getting the printing plates made, then printing and storing 10-20K bags to start is a big expense though.  I don't have a problem buying a truckload of Ozark Oak and distributing it if people want it over our brand.

• sporktaor
    sporktaor Posts: 16

Not sure who makes Earth Fare's lump but I used a handful of bags last year and had great success. I stopped after I learned about Ace and Wicked Good but that's on hiatus apparently (tears).  Royal Oak at Walmart in Lewis Center has been a bust for me. Mostly dust and small pieces because of handling. Menards green bag of Royal Oak is much better and my go to backup.  Also just noticed Wielands on indianola carries a sugar maple lump that i just picked up. It's 9.99 for same size as royal oak so definitely more but hopefully it's better!  Giant Eagle does have the Best of the West (lewis center location) but I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like it's worth picking up.  GFS big bags have been pretty solid in my experience. Mr Mulch or Straders would be a backup to get BGE lump.

• sporktaor
    sporktaor Posts: 16
    BTW, Cabela's has shelf space for Orange and Peach Chunks (although sold out when i was there).  It's Western brand though. 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Every grocery chain here in Ga has their own brand of lump, Publix, Harris Teeter & Winn Dixie.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Humphrey is headquartered in PA but their plant is in Ohio. Call them and arrange for a local pickup at the plant or shipping to a terminal. At the plant in PA the cost is $10 for a twenty pound bag. It is great lump. I live in PA and have it shipped to a local terminal where I pick it up. My last order including shipping was around $12 per bag. I ordered 90 bags in a bulk buy. It is all that I use.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    @CincyTiki i did not know about joining ksbs gets you free passes into RD? Is that just in Ohio, or everywhere? Florida here. I tried to find mention of it on kcbs web site, but did not find anything. I have been looking for a way to get into rd for some time now.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    @CAT Selller. It is everywhere. When you go to the KCBS discounts page there is a coupon for use at any Restaurant Depot for a day pass. You can only see the discounts when you are logged in as a member. You can go as many times as you like. For me, the discount covered my membership to KCBS on my first trip to RD, I bought lump, brisket and pork butts.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • henapple
    @Mauch5... I'll be coming through in a week... I don't have much oo left but could bring you a bag to try out.
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    I have a restaurant and a member to Restaurant Depot. If you're in the Cincinnati area, send me a message and I'll gladly lend a card. The Royal Oak is on sale now at $8.99 for 17.6lbs bags! 
  • Mauch5
    @fasteddiem Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it. My wife is from Cincy. @henapple let me know. I wouldn't mind meeting up.