Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Plateau/s

Options
EggRacer
EggRacer Posts: 400
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first brisket in years and seem to be stuck at 185/186. Is this a normal plateau point or should I increase my temp to push on to 200? It's an eight pounder from Sam's that I put on last night at 7:00 pm with a pit temp (dome) of 240. I'm not sure if its a packer or just an untrimmed brisket but I think it's just an untrimmed brisket as I don't see what I would consider to be a point.
XLBGE & LBGE
North Richland Hills, TX

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    What time are you trying to grub at?  You should be past the stall but you can bump it up if you're trying to grub sooner.

How long has it been since you've calibrated your thermometers? 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    this is normal. You can bump you want to. mine always seem to stall out a little around here (after the normal stall at 165-ish). You won't hurt it to push it through if you want it for lunch
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggRacer
    edited May 2013
    Options
    As long as I get it done for the evening meal which means I have time. I just thought it seemed strange to be stuck at this temp for 2 hours. I'm going by my Digi-Q and BGE therms which are in agreement.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    Options
    EggRacer said:
    As long as I get it done for the evening meal which means I have time. I just thought it seemed strange to be stuck at this temp for 2 hours. I'm going by my Digi-Q and BGE therms which are in agreement.

oh you're fine...just let it run it's course then.  It will eventually push through and it should be done before supper time.
  • EggRacer
    Options
    Thanks. I'll just let it push on through unless I get too impatient.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    All good info above, if you have time then let it ride as @cazzy says.  Patience is the watch-word and I have not heard of someone perfecting a turbo brisket method-although I'm sure it has been attempted. Just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    All good info above, if you have time then let it ride as @cazzy says.  Patience is the watch-word and I have not heard of someone perfecting a turbo brisket method-although I'm sure it has been attempted. Just an opinion...

I've done a 5 hour turbo brisket once and it was chainsaw tender!  :-SS
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    MMMmmmmm sounds like it would help clean tarter off. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ask Hap =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    My last brisket dropped 13 degrees on me.. I injected it with beef broth and wrapped it in foil at 160 b/c the dome temp had gotten away from me.. It was cooking too fast.. So then a couple hours later I removed the foil to try to get some bark on it.. Next thing I know, the temp had dropped from 185 to 172 due to evaporative cooling.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com