Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajitas

Options
With it being Cinco de Mayo and all, and having moved from Texas to Virginia last summer, the Queen wanted simple Chicken Fajitas.  

Roasted the chicken in a foil pan to keep the drippings for basting.   Spatchcocked the chicken, butter underneath the skin, liberal fresh ground salt and pepper and top side got a good dusting of Raging River.  First basting was with EVOO, then basted with the drippings every ten minutes or so.  About 30 minutes in started basting with chicken stock.  Pulled chicken after 70 minutes at 400F. Garlic, peppers, onions and EVOO in the CI skillet.  ABTs on top were stuffed with BGE-cold smoked gouda and wrapped with bacon.  Brought to the table in the CI skillet, having pulled the chicken and set ABTs on top - bon appetit.  

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks fantastic. I think Tex-Mex cuisine was a crowd favorite yesterday! 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Now your meal is making me hungry! =P~

Great job! How did you like doing the chicken in the foil pan? I might try marinading one and using that method!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Miles you will teach those East Coasters a thing or two yet ~:>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Beautiful!  Did you make a fajita with an ABT inside?  I would have! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    @Solson005 - the chicken in the pan works great for pulled chicken I think.  For eating off the bone normally I cook raised direct, love the marks and flavor.  I got the idea from watching Michael Symon (Iron Chef) cook and baste a chicken and modified it a bit for the cook.  

ABT fajita.....now that is a great idea!  
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks I will give it a shot sometime!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.