Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kentucky Hot Brown

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
When trying to come up with a dish to serve at our Kentucky Derby Party I remembered a Bobby Flay Throwdown where he went to Kentucky and challenged the Castro Brothers from the Brown Hotel and the dish was a Kentucky Hot Brown. Even thought the Castro Brothers won the throwdown I went with Bobby Flays recipe in the Bar American cookbook I had on the shelf. 

Because of great members like @henapple I knew Harps Grocery Stores had Ozark Oak for half of what I normally pay. After a little road trip we got 5 bags for what we would usually pay for 2. 

Now for the lighting of the egg ceremony! 

A Kentucky Hot Brown is a open faced turkey sandwich with a Mornay Sauce on top of a thick slice of bread (think savory french toast) with tomato slices cheese and bacon on top! First up was the turkey breast and a spatchcock for some lunches next week. 

Note: my sister is a big horse racing fan and gets all the credit for the table settings, I just cooked the food and played bartender. 

Time to setup the mint julep bar and the rest of the table! We found a Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby Edition bottle and I had a bottle of Blanton's for those who wanted to sip the bourbon. 

Time to check on the chicken and turkey. I love the CGW Swing Rack for cooks like this with my platesetter. 

Here is a shot of the table with all the snacks, key lime pie, and the drinks. 

Then it was time to enjoy the race, now Orb winning wasn't a big surprise but when Golden Soul comes out of nowhere to show that ruined all of our chances at winning any money… But we did have a great party still in full gear! 

The bread gets dipped in a egg / milk mixture and gets cooked on the griddle on the egg. 

The wind was blowing like crazy and made it really cold to be outside. This was not a fun weekend to be next to the egg all afternoon. But we did get the patio heater working again and had it cranked up to help with the cold. 

Here is the assembly line ready to make the sandwiches. 

First the turkey.

then the Mornay Sauce and some extra shredded cheese (we used a white cheddar and parmesan) 

Then the tomato slices

Then the precooked bacon

Under the broiler to get bubbly and golden brown. 

Here it is plated:

On to dessert, my sister made Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Whoopie Pies

And I made some mint julep ice cream. I found one of Emeril's recipes and went for it. First combine simple syrup, 6 sprigs of mint, and 1 cup bourbon and let simmer for 10 mins. 

Then strain and whisk that into a typical egg yolk / cream custard and let cool completely. Then just add it to your ice-cream maker, I used my kitchenaid attachment and love it. 

Serve with a couple sprigs of mint and enjoy! 

Although nobody had the winning trifecta we still had a great afternoon with friends, family, and great food. It was a good day and we already have other people wanting to come next year! The Kentucky hot browns were really good, I don't know that I had ever eaten anything like them and I will be making them again! The ice-cream was a perfect ending to go with the Whoopie Pies. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks and sounds like a spectacular day besides the weather.  It's been cold in my neck of the woods too for the most part but sounds like this could be the week where spring finally shows up to stay. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wow! i think this is one of your best productions yet (that I have seen). The food and drink looks amazing as always, but the Derby theme was really cool. Nicely done!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Scottborasjr I would just like it to pick a season so I can finally put away the jacket. Shorts one day jacket the next, I'm ready to be able to grill and enjoy it, not run out flip the food and run back inside. 

Thanks @caliking it was a fun cook and I had my creative sister do most of the setup, i was told I will be making that again for next years party so it wasn't just me who liked it. It had layers of flavor and each thing complemented the others really well. We will have to have a theme party when you come up on your IETN Oklahoma stop.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Wow Solson005. You made another Epic meal.  ^:)^ . Table setting put it over the top.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• nice. you win for originality in my book this weekend. What a great day. Fun.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Solson005-I'm in the Louisville area and the above out-did any of the local parties that I was aware of...(Disclaimer-I don't travel in the high orbits:)).  Most Eggcellent across the board.  May have to have a hot brown once the fog of yesterday's war wears off!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @six_egg I can't take credit for that but my sister did a great job! 

nice. you win for originality in my book this weekend. What a great day. Fun.
    Thanks it was fun coming up with a game plan and I'm glad everything turned out great. 

@lousubcap thanks, my sister goes all out and I am happy to cook and bartend! It was a great party and grows every year. The hot browns were really good and I might have to try the "official recipe" from the hotel although I don't know if it can get much better than the recipe I made. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    @Solson005 that looks amazing!!!!!
    Large BGE

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Strong work man! Love seeing the complete meal and creativity!

How do you like the ice cream attachment?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    Outstanding! From start to finish.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Solson005
    edited May 2013
    @EddieK76 Thanks it was really good! 

@cazzy thank you, my sister is the creative one.. I love the attachment, it makes up to 2 quarts of ice-cream at a time I quit making homemade ice-cream because it used to be a big production to make a tiny bit in my old maker. Now it will get lots of use, especially when it warms up. All you have to do is freeze that bowl for 16 hours (i just keep it in the deep freezer) and run it on speed 2 for 20 minutes and perfect homemade ice cream. 

Thank you @onelikearock it was a really fun way to celebrate the derby. My sister has all the pictures on her DSLR of the hats and outfits so they didn't make it in the post. 
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    @Solson005 I agree about the homemade ice cream.  Nothing beats it and it doesn't have all that nasty stuff in it since you control what goes in it.
    Large BGE

• Solson005
    @EddieK76 @cazzy and anyone else that is interested in making homemade ice-cream, I highly recommend The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. I have only made a few recipes, but all of them have been good. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Thanks Solson, I'll check it out!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    What a run for the roses. You deserve the wreath for that cook. And I am so stealing it ;-))
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Solson005
    edited May 2013
    Thanks @Austin_Egghead steal away, everything was good enough to make again and again!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Excellent cook! Everything looks great, and those tomatoes don't look store bought. Heirloom? To me one of life's greatest pleasures is garden fresh tomatoes.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Solson005
    @scooter759 yes they are heirloom and I love fresh tomatoes as well. But these came from a grocery store with great produce. I need to try growing tomatoes again.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Outstanding all around!!! You're a true party host!
  • Solson005
    Thanks @hapster hosting parties is much more enjoyable than going out all the time. Cheaper better food / drinks and can control everything but the weather!
  • Solson005
    I haven't been this excited about lunch in a long time! I wonder if I should bring the second one and make someone happy… or just have it again later this week  :-?

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Solson005 I had a Hot Brown in the original hotel restaurant in Louisville and yours makes it look weak.  Well Done.  Idea - how do you think it would taste with hog jawls or turkey bacon in lieu of regular bacon.  Or maybe even pork belly.

And appreciate the pictures- you definitely told the story.  
  • Solson005
    @milesbrown4 thank you for the complements. I think that part of the cook would work fine with whatever kind of bacon you like to eat. I think the tomatoes are a component that needs to be as good as you can find, they brought another layer of flavor that worked really well with the bread and sauce.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Solson005 said:
    @milesbrown4 thank you for the complements. I think that part of the cook would work fine with whatever kind of bacon you like to eat. I think the tomatoes are a component that needs to be as good as you can find, they brought another layer of flavor that worked really well with the bread and sauce.
    Good point about the tomatoes - looks like you used beefsteak.  High acid I guess.  Man I'm hungry
  • Solson005
    @milesbrown4 we found some heirlooms and they turned out great especially spending some time under the broiler!

I'm ready for lunch myself!
  • Solson005
    I decided to go home for lunch so I could stick it under the broiler instead of using the microwave, man am I glad I did that it was just as good as the first time around! Now I just need to get some motivation to get back to work..  I-)
  • Solson005
    Waited until today for lunch to have the last one. Lets just say I will be making these again very soon! 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    My Goodness... =P~ Speechless.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498

WOW!!!!! CAN I COME OVER FOR THE NEXT COOK???? =D> GOOD JOB!!! once again  WOW!

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    One of our favorite sandwiches ever! 

I know this is backwards according to many recipes but try this one time, put everything under the Mornay sauce.  That way the cheesy sauce gets brown and crispy in a few spots. 

Did that by accident once and never went back to the "right" way :) 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This