Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Slow and Low Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:[p]I was planning on spending some time this weekend doing a Slow and Low Brisket, and maybe a pork shoulder for pulled pork. [p]I have had my egg for a couple of months, and have been an avid reader of the forum, but I have several questions.[p]1) What equipment do I need. I don't yet have a place setter, or a second "raised Rack" I am fairly sure I will need to purchase those, I also only have a pen type thermometer, will I need a maverick or similar style corded thermometer.[p]2) I have been using "Cowboy Charcoal" with success the past month or so, is this good for an extended cook, or should I switch to something else?[p]3) Is it even possible to do Brisket and Pork at the same time? I was thinking if I had similar weight pieces it would all work out?[p]Thanks for all the advice in advance.[p]-- Joshua

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Joshua Kane,[p]Depending on what size egg you have, it's very possible. When I cook brisket, I like to have two butts above it cooking at the same time. More fat for flavor and you're utilizing more of the BGE's capacity. [p]Good luck and post some pictures!
  • Essex County
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    I did my first two pork butts in a V-rack balanced on a couple of bricks and above an earthenware pie plate. Worked fine. Find something with a little mass to use as a drip pan/heat deflector and then figure out how to suspend the meat above it.[p]I am a devout follower of the Naked Whiz sect of "Never Peek, Not Even Once" until the desired temp is achieved. This demands a probe thermometer.[p]Cowboy is not the best for low and slow. It would probably make it through an 18 hour cook if you filled the box part way up the fire ring but if you need to go longer which may be the case if you do multiple meats...[p]Mark Backer has it right on the the BOB cook (Butt over Brisket).[p](...can't come up with a good acronym for the No Peek thing...)[p]Paul

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Essex County, How about DNOEUPTIA. NASA would love that one.

• Essex County,[p]
    Any suggestions of a good lump if Cowboy is not your first choice?[p]-- Joshua[p]

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    I use Wicked Good for pretty much everything now - It is a GREAT long cook one. [p]When I do Brisket I always cook a butt or picnic on the grate right above the brisket - it keeps the brisket nicely basted.

• Joshua Kane,
    I've done many briskets and butts with Cowboy lump.
    Great results and the price is right. $3-4 for 8.8#
    from midwest big box stores. Maverick redi-check
    dual probe remote thermometer is a great investment.
    $39.95 online.[p]Good luck.[p]DLR

• Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    I did a 9lb. pork butt a couple of weeks ago using Cowboy. Full firebox. Fire went out after 16 hours (IIRC) and I had to refill. I personally won't use it again. Ordered some Wicked Lump the next day. I think I'm doing a brisket this weekend too. First time. Hope more chime in with tips.
  • Essex County
    Options
    sigmore,
    Ok, I'll bite... "Do Not Open ....????

• Parrothead
    Options
    Do Not Open Egg Until Proper Temperature Is Attained???
    Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • Parrothead
    Options
    I normally use either the BGE brand or Royal Oak. I have not had the pleasure of using Wicked Good, but have nothing but wonderful things about it...esp. how it works for low and slows!
    I just refuse to use Cowboy simply because I don't like to be able recognize tongue and groove flooring in my lump charcoal bag. However, it is difficult to beat the price of Cowboy. HTH

Wobbly pops to ya!

Chris
    Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris