Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex gets mad at the Picanha

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks outstanding Cen Tex!! 1 quick question. The wide skewers keep the meet from spinning I assume. Could I cook at raised direct about 400 and be ok? I need to get a set of those skewers tho

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    I'm afraid of Cen-Tex.  But, Cen-Tex with two ninja swords ?  No way, man.

I read that Chuck Norris sleeps in "Cen-Tex" Pajamas.

If you can see Centex, Centex can see you. If you cannot see Centex, you are seconds from death :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2013
    Looks outstanding Cen Tex!! 1 quick question. The wide skewers keep the meet from spinning I assume. Could I cook at raised direct about 400 and be ok? I need to get a set of those skewers tho

skewers are all for show. Cook them like you would any steak. It was fun to do it this way though but there is no need to do it other than to post badass pictures of yourself getting all mad at some meat on swords :))
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    By the time we unpacked and drove over to Central Markup the Pickens made Slim look fat.
    Did get the skewers. The red snapper was whispering our name (nothing wrong with seafood three days in a row). Will use the skewers doing the lawn rangers chicken bacon wrap.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959

If you can see Centex, Centex can see you. If you cannot see Centex, you are seconds from death :))
    A police officer pulled Cen-Tex over for a traffic violation.  Cen-Tex let him off with a just a warning.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Cen-tex never laughed in the face of death, he finds nothing amusing about his own reflection.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Village Idiot
    Ghosts and monsters sit around the campfire telling Cen-Tex stories.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• centex's tears cure all disease and famine.....too bad he has never cried.
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Looking good. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Broccoli eats itself out of fear that Centex may come...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Cen-Tex has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.
  • Village Idiot
    Cen-Tex never dials the wrong number. You answer the wrong phone.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• caliking
    @EddieK76: These are available on Amazon: Steven Raichlen stainless steel skewers 5/8" wide

There are 1" wide one too. If you have a Middle Eastern grocery store near you they may have wide skewers as well. 

The ones available from Central Market in Texas recently are Tramontina Churrasco brand, and don't seem to be usually available in the US. They are not absolutely necessary... unless you want to look like a bada$$ ala Centex. I like them because a) I have a thing for skewers b) I have a thing for  skewers with handles

• cazzy
    Cen-Tex once urinated in semi truck's gas tank as a joke...that truck is now known as Optimus Prime.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    That looks outstanding CenTex and Girl_on_Grill!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:
    That looks outstanding CenTex and Girl_on_Grill!

they were really good. Just copied Caliking's and added chimi. go get yourself some swords!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

It turns out there is a reason that they make the skewers that big.  Apparently, when one cooks picanha on smaller skewers, the fat drips from the picanha and the picanha catches fire, as does the wooden handle on the skewer... 

Clearly, I'm no Centex.  I'm not even smart enough to put the wooden handle outside the grill...

It tasted great though.  Ended up a perfect rare in the thicker portions and medium in the thinner portions with mostly medium-rare.  Sorry there are no pics, I was busy playing fireman.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• micheggin
    micheggin Posts: 39
    could you please post your Pao De Queijo recipe?  the picanha looks awesome.  re: brasilian style churrasco cooking take a look at this website http://www.epicoa.com/
  • micheggin said:
    could you please post your Pao De Queijo recipe?  the picanha looks awesome.  re: brasilian style churrasco cooking take a look at this website http://www.epicoa.com/
    @Girl_on_grill posted it above but here it is again:

• micheggin said:
    That's a pretty cool rig. I would get one for Al Pastor alone. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    caliking said:
    @EddieK76: These are available on Amazon: Steven Raichlen stainless steel skewers 5/8" wide

There are 1" wide one too. If you have a Middle Eastern grocery store near you they may have wide skewers as well. 

The ones available from Central Market in Texas recently are Tramontina Churrasco brand, and don't seem to be usually available in the US. They are not absolutely necessary... unless you want to look like a bada$$ ala Centex. I like them because a) I have a thing for skewers b) I have a thing for  skewers with handles
    I happened to stop in an Afghan market earlier today. Every size and shape you could imagine for cheap. Didn't have a tape measure with me but I will tomorrow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Hey Centex,

Where did you get the azedo and doce for the cheese puffs?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hey Centex,

Where did you get the azedo and doce for the cheese puffs?
    no clue. That all came from TFJ. Pretty sure we bought everything at Central Markup but I can't guarantee she didn't sub anything.

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited May 2013
    @girl_on_grill you aren't the girl from the Food Network Star show are you?

@eddiek76 I bought those skewers @caliking posted and sent them back.  Think you would do better buying something beefier or making them yourself.

Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• caliking
    @r270ba : thanks for setting me straight. I had forgotten that you had field tested them. 

• r270ba
    Ha...don't know about the 'setting you straight' part but yea I really didn't like them.  You seem to know what the hell you are doing :).
    Anderson, SC

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited May 2013
    r270ba said:
    @girl_on_grill you aren't the girl from the Food Network Star show are you?

@eddiek76 I bought those skewers @caliking posted and sent them back.  Think you would do better buying something beefier or making them yourself.

I can answer question #1- Unless she is holding out some serious cash on me, she in not on the food network :))

she didn't even realize that name was out there and then she saw that she is even using the same avatar on her website. 
  • r270ba
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  so then I deduce she is your SWMBO!  I didn't know the Girl on Grill had a website.  Could you post.  She was probably my least favorite personality on Food Network Star but I did like some of the things she cooked!
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker  so then I deduce she is your SWMBO!  I didn't know the Girl on Grill had a website.  Could you post.  She was probably my least favorite personality on Food Network Star but I did like some of the things she cooked!

To her ongoing horror, You would be correct.

I don't know the website. Someone in here mentioned it so TFJ went looking for it and said it was using her avatar on the home page. She was really bummed. Thought she had an original name AND avatar. Nope.

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    This is the next big thing......pincaha?  I don't think I can get that in VA....need to do some research.  The Queen will like this!