Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Audible - Brisket a'la Griffin

2»

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The suspense is killing me :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    My first flat was like that. Had to get Popeye's because it wasnt ready in time. 
  • bump it dude. You have hours to go if you don't. 275 grid will get you done in an hour or so
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • and you have at least an hour after it's done before you can slice it and get it in the fridge. Bump it
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Well damn, it's nearly 11 on the east coast and still haven't seen a finished pic from @hapster.  Maybe I should have hopped on a plane and got him some more Tito's.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I'm a about to throw this stupid ass ate off the giddamn deck. Grid is 260 and the IT is 193.

Screw this. I'm about to pull the damn thing and fridge it till tomorrow night.
  • Scottborasjr
    Depending on what time you have to get up tomorrow Hap I'd let it go another hour and then FTC it and put it in the fridge tomorrow.  But like I said, no idea what your schedule is for tomorrow.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    hapster said:

I'm a about to throw this stupid ass ate off the giddamn deck. Grid is 260 and the IT is 193.

I hear some people freeze their brisket. Lol.

Don't sweat it man...it'll be worth it man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    cazzy said:

hapster said:

I hear some people freeze their brisket. Lol.

=))

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Damn that looks tasty, nicely done as always Hap.
  • cazzy
    Looks great Hap! I have to say though, I wouldn't be able to sleep without making a fresk brisket sammie. I would toss and turn in bed while having nightmares of VI stealing my brisket.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Looks good!  Where can I buy simple salt from?  Do you make it like simply syrup?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited May 2013
    HAP, makin a run to the store this morning for "brisket" makin's, how many of those "ALEC BRADLY NEW YORKERS" will i need ? ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The brisket looks incredible @Hapster.  Sorry it turned out to be one of those cooks that just won't finish...we have all had those! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @Hapster that is one mean brisket.  Must have been a right handed one!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Okay.... Got home from work and almost forgot the brisket was in the fridge.

Fat chance...

The simple sea salt, course ground pepper, and onion powder was just the right type of spice for this little beast. The oak smoke added just the right amount of taste and smokiness; even the day after when things tend to taste even more smokey.

Sliced a few slices of it cold and popped in the mic for about a minute. Came out tender and juicy...

The cook timing could have been better; but I was being stupidly impulsive and paid for it with a longer cook. On the other hand; learned that this might well be my new and only way to do this cut on the egg going forward.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys...

Charlie.... It seem like a 2 to 3 stick cook :)
    This is from the flat end, cut cross grain. Might see if there is a little point on it shortly.
  • hapster said:
    Okay.... Got home from work and almost forgot the brisket was in the fridge. Fat chance... The simple sea salt, course ground pepper, and onion powder was just the right type of spice for this little beast. The oak smoke added just the right amount of taste and smokiness; even the day after when things tend to taste even more smokey. Sliced a few slices of it cold and popped in the mic for about a minute. Came out tender and juicy... The cook timing could have been better; but I was being stupidly impulsive and paid for it with a longer cook. On the other hand; learned that this might well be my new and only way to do this cut on the egg going forward. Thanks for all the encouragement guys... Charlie.... It seem like a 2 to 3 stick cook :) This is from the flat end, cut cross grain. Might see if there is a little point on it shortly. image
    nice Hap! That looks awesome. Well played

• Scottborasjr
    Looks great Hap!!  Sometimes the reward for such a frustrating cook comes the next day when you have a damn good meal in less time then it would take to make a peanut butter sandwich. 
  • cazzy
    Great job Hap! Looks awesome!!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Knocked it out hap, just took a few rounds!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Ahhhh... the fruit of labor well spent!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Certainly don't see anything wrong with that! Looks great Hap, Great things are worth waiting for!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome to the K.I.S.S. Brisket Club. We probably had varying done times because I was using a 5.5lb grass fed packer and you were using a 7lb flat, but it looks like you got it done ok in the end. I'd take some of that right about not.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
     Hap looks great as always. I always enjoy the pics of your cooks. I am sure it tastes as good as it looks.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Great cook Hap, my first ever brisket a few years ago was a flat and it was shoe leather and have only done packers since. Now that I am armed with some experience and the forum I think I will try another flat. Thanks guys.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Now if i could get results like this, i'd be having brisket every week !!  Nice job HAP,,