Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

LOOKIN 4 A SPATCHCOCK RECIPE!!!!!

i ve been hearing that a spatchcock chicken is great..so i want to try one but cant find the recipe on here ...is just a whole chicken split with what ever rub or seasoning you choose ???? how long and what temp and do i need a drip pan???
"Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,843

This will head you in the right direction.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,376
    Here you go..

You pretty much got it.  Cut out the backbone and flatten the bird, apply your favorite rub, and cook.  You can go direct or indirect for this cook.  I think the most common is a raised direct setup.  Cook at 350-400 ish until it is 180 in the thickest part of the thigh...around 40 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the bird.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • thank you fellas...i think im going to try this today...i was also wondering at what temp and how long to grill eggplant with tomato...if you could help
    "Ask not what your Egg can do for you, but what you can do for your egg" 1LBG 1XLBG , Grilling, JimBeam, and Life....What else is there??!!!!!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,276
    Check YouTube for directions on how to cut.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Slice the eggplant in 1/2 inch slices.  Stack up with a paper towel between each slice to absorb the moisture out of the eggplant.  Coat the eggplant with olive oil both sides, S&P, and on direct at about 350, get the slices about 1/2 way cooked and place a slice of tomato on each eggplant slice, topped with a slice of cheese.  Cook until cheese browns. 
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,525
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like you have already gotten great info on the spatchcock part but for the eggplant I always cut about 1/2" thick and put a thick coat of sea salt on them and let them sit for a while. This will draw a huge amount of the moisture out of the eggplant. Just remember before you cook to was the salt off and coat with the oil of your choice. I use EVOO I do a dish with eggplant,tomatoes and feta cheese. I put he eggplant on about 7 mins before the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes start to soften up I will stack them on the eggplant for about 3 min and then add the feta( fresh basil, if I have it) till the cheese is melted

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • are you supposed to flip the bird at anytime
    ·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,790
    edited May 2013

I usually do! about the first 10-15 minutes skin side down...finish flipped over.

Evans

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,525
    I usually do not. I generally do mine indirect at about 400 or so.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,292
    I usually do not. I generally do mine indirect at about 400 or so.
    I also do not flip the chicken and cook indirect at 400 for an hour or so.  For me, it is the best way to cook a whole chicken.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·